How do I create an icon

stlucia 09:09 06 Jan 03
  stlucia 09:09 06 Jan 03

A couple of years ago I created an icon for one of my applications, but I can't remember how. I'm sure I used something very simple like MS Paint, but I can't see how to do it now.

I've tried renaming my icon as a .bmp and then editing it, but I can't open it with any of the software that I have (MS Paint, CorelDraw 4, Pagemaker 4).

Please, can anybody help.

bowman 09:24 06 Jan 03

When you are in paint, go to Image, Attributes,set to 32w x 32h.

Then 'File' 'New'this should open a new canvas. Go to View, 'Zoom' this will allow you to work in the canvas, pan in and out until you are happy with the image.

Save the Image in a folder of your choice,as a .bmp, Open the folder in explorer and right click on file and highlite,'Rename'. Change ***.bmp extension to ***.ico (***name you called the file) you will be warned about changing the extensions ignore this, when it is renamed you should have a icon you can use.

If you dont see ***.bmp go to View, Folder Options, click the View Tab, uncheck the box for "hide file extensions for known file types" you will now see full file name.

When you have Renamed the file go back to view and recheck box in folder options. Have fun!

Hope this helps.

goonerbill 09:51 06 Jan 03

if ya having trouble making icons, go to this site click here great program for making icons of allsorts and its free

stlucia 09:51 06 Jan 03

That sounds like it! What I had missed was setting up the attributes first.

Thanks a lot.

stlucia 10:44 06 Jan 03

I'll try that also. Thanks.

nangadef 10:58 06 Jan 03

goonerbill that program costs £12.55!

goonerbill 11:22 06 Jan 03

sorry nangadef, didnt realise ya had to pay for it. was told about the site by a friend.
i stand corrected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…