How do I create a formula in MS Excell 5.0c

1936 23:41 06 Mar 09

I have the records of a local angling club going back to 1932 and these records include the results of fishing matches matches held through that period. I want to analyze the catches of those matches in order to identify any trends that may exist on the river that those matches were fished and although I am reasonably computer literate I have never needed to use spread sheets.
If the data from those records were in metric measurement it would be no problem but they are in what I would refer to as Imperial measurement.
In other words they use measures in weight based on Pounds, Ounces and Drams.
There are 16 Drams in an Ounce and 16 Ounces in a Pound.
The software that is on my computer is Microsoft Excel Version 5.0c
Could anyone offer me some help in showing me how to apply a formula that will calculate these measurements?

Fermat's Theorem 00:44 07 Mar 09

In a1 enter the Pounds, in A2 enter the Ounces, in A3 enter the Drams.

A4 will hold the metric equivalent by using this formula in A4.

=a1+(a2/16)+(a3/256)

Copy the formula down as far as needed to match the imperial measurments you are inputting.

Hope this helps :-)

VoG II 08:29 07 Mar 09

I would have thought this would be a better layout and will convert to kilograms:

A1 Pounds
B1 Ounces
C1 Drams

D1 =CONVERT(A1+B1/16+C1/256,"lbm","kg")

You can then drag the formula in D1 down as far as needed.

You will need the Analysis Toolpak - Tools > Add-Ins and tick Analysis Toolpak.

1936 09:00 07 Mar 09

Thank you both for your advice but I think that you mised the fact that I have never used spread sheets and regretably that means I need an idiots guide if I am to understand what you write.

1. When you say, "In a1 enter the Pounds, in A2 enter the Ounces, in A3 enter the Drams." I assume that means the actual quantities.

2. "A4 will hold the metric equivalent by using this formula in A4." I don't want anything to do with metric at this moment. So where do I place the formula =a1+(a2/16)+(a3/256)and does it need amending to remove the metric facility?

What do you mean, "Copy the formula down as far as needed to match the imperial measurments you are inputting."? How do I copy it and to where?

I understand, A1 Pounds, B1 Ounces, C1 Drams.

I do not understand the following.
"D1 =CONVERt(A1+B1/16+C1/256,"lbm","kg")
Do you mean that I place a series of weights running down in the a,b,c columns and then pplace the formula in d1?

What do you mean, "You can then drag the formula in D1 down as far as needed."?

I found the Analysis Toolpak - Tools > Add-Ins and tick Analysis but what do I do with it?

I hope my questions do not annoy you but as I said I am a new starter. I dont suppose its possible to show am example?

VoG II 10:02 07 Mar 09

For your first measurement type the pounds into A1, the ounces into B1 and the drams into C1. For your second measurement type the pounds into A2, the ounces into B2 and the drams into C2. Continue down (the next row will be 3) and so on until you have completed your data table.

In D1 type in exactly

=CONVERT(A1+B1/16+C1/256,"lbm","kg")

and press Enter. The result of the calculation will now be displayed in D1.

Click in D1 and hover the cursor over the bottom right corner of the cell - the cursor will turn into a +

Hold down the left mouse button and drag down to the bottom of your table. Release the mouse button. The results of the calculations for each row will now be displayed in column D.

1936 10:53 07 Mar 09

lbs ozs drms
9 0 0
7 1 8
3 12 0
3 5 8
2 3 0
1 8 8
1 7 12
1 0 0

I filled in the above. Clicked onto D1 and dragged the + curser down to the bottom right of drms but nothing happened.

VoG II 11:21 07 Mar 09
  1936 11:32 07 Mar 09

Right, I think that I have got it. Now I will give it another try so many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…