How do I copy a partition with OS to new larger HD

tireddad 19:22 23 Jun 06

Daughter has 8 Gig Hard Drive which someone (not me) partitioned into 3 2.74 Gig Partitions.
Partition C has now only 124 Meg left.
How can I fit a 40Gig Hard Drive and transfer all files including the OS. (XP Home Upgrade)
The new drive is a Maxtor and their Home Page uses a copying device which appears to copy all Partitions, as is, to the new drive.
I only want to copy the C partion without partitioning the New Drive. Can this be done?

mgmcc 19:48 23 Jun 06

It can be done with a program such as Norton Ghost, which can create an "image" file of the partition containing the operating system in one of the other partitions on the drive. This image file can then be restored into the new 40GB drive, effectively using its entire space for a single partition.

If you email me privately I can point you to a URL from which to download some suitable disk cloning/imaging software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…