How do I copy O/S from 1 hd to another? please hel

bof:) 18:40 28 Feb 04

Hi All,

(Using win98se)

PC running fine until 2 days ago until I downloaded a free program from Download.com. During the download PestControl said something about something being 'found in the memory' did I want it to be fixed. I just clicked yes.

Since then everytime I booted up it said 'bad sectors found' and asked for scan disk to be run. I did this. it took 17 hours and 2 bad sectors were found. Since repairing these PC starts ok but I know its doomed eventually.

Maxtors Powermax failed on Smart Self Test with error no: 3HR557.

I now need to copy all files from HD to another I've installed today. I did have a copy of 'Nortons Ghost' but I rang and asked no1 son where it is and he said 'somewhere in my bedroom'... searched where I could, nothing found.

So,can I just copy all files across via DOS if so what are the commands.

OR do I continue the search for Ghost?

Failing both of above anyone know where best (cheapest) place to get a copy of Ghost or similar program.

Many thanks,

Mike

Rayuk 18:44 28 Feb 04

Download utility from Maxtor or whatever the new drive manufacturers to copy.

Some drive manufacturers offer S/ware to do this I know Seagate do and have used it in the past.

It may be worth a look at your drive manufacturers sit to see.

Memo to self PROOF READ prior to submit

Sit = Site

Rayuk 18:46 28 Feb 04

Maxtor

click here

Bapou 19:00 28 Feb 04

Power Quest Drive Image 7. I believe it's available at Amazon.com for about £25.

961 19:01 28 Feb 04

Check system for virus first, either an on line job or whatever virus checker you use making sure it is up to date

Sounds at a guess more like imported trouble rather than hard disk failure

Seagate have a programme you can download that just transfers everything across to the new disk after which you can remove the old one. I guess other hard disk makers have similar jobs

Not sure that Ghost or similar is a good idea until virus problems can be ruled out

As for No 1 son, well I suggest software reclaim at some convenient moment

bof:) 12:51 04 Mar 04

Hi All,

Thankyou all for your help.

961, I've ran Housecall and keep my AVG updated everyday.

When I put my spare HD in (Seagate) I found that after running the diagnostic program from seagates website this also had a bad sector on it.

So, I've copied as much as I am able to cd's and everything is also now on both HD's..

ßéLâ thanks for the Xcopy details,Rayuk, I've used this it seems very straight forward and Bapou I'll get a copy as soon as I can. It looks like my Nortons 'Ghost' has vanished.

Mike

bof:) 12:53 04 Mar 04

[email protected] thankyou also for your advice.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…