how do i copy my itunes music on to hard drive

drastor 22:46 PM 19 Dec 11

I have an iPOD Classic. I recently lost my laptop on which my itunes library was stored. This consisted mainly of files I had copied from my music cds. Obviusly all these files are still on my ipod. When I connect the ipod to the new computer it says it does not sync to that library and do I want to clear it and start again. I do not want to d this as it took weeks to load on all these CDs and they are still on the ipod. Is there any way I can transfer the files on the ipod to my new hard drive?

difarn 07:15 AM 20 Dec 11

From reading up on this it appears that there is no direct way of doing this that doesn't involve a third party application. It does say that if you try to sync your i-pod with an empty i-tunes folder on your PC then you will end up with nothing on both - the PC folder is empty then the i-pod will mirror it.

Found this free download if you are interested but please be aware that I have not used it.

KRONOS the First 08:12 AM 20 Dec 11

This is something that for some reason Apple refuses to address, it is quite ridiculous that following a PC crash etc and not having a back of your iTunes library you need a third party software to transfer your music back to iTunes from your player. I have in the past used CopyTrans but I like the look of Difarn's suggestion.

In future back up the whole of your iTunes folder to an external drive or something.

bionicle 21:38 PM 20 Dec 11

It can be done..I have done it in the past from i-pod classic 150gb. See http://lifehacker.com/105256/how-to-copy-songs-from-your-ipod-to-your-pc You might need to make some minor changes to the process depending on operating system, i-pod etc but basically with the i-pod connected you need to 'show hidden files and folders' and then copy over. If stuck some further web searches will show you how.

john bunyan 11:16 AM 21 Dec 11

Before you start, in iTunes on the new PC,Edit/Preferences/Devices then ensure that the box "Do not auto synch" is checked. Also look up "Using iPod as a hard drive" on google.

john bunyan 16:32 PM 21 Dec 11
  difarn 15:50 PM 22 Dec 11

Just came across this recommendation about "Share Pod" on another forum.

It is a free download and does copy from ipod to PC. It seems quite straightforward.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…