How do I connect to wireless networks?

johnboyblue 23:13 29 Sep 05

I have a wireless network in my home which works well. When I try to connect my laptop outside of my home to networks like TMobile in Starbucks I can get a signal by clicking on my Netgear logo and changing the profile in the wireless utility wizard to find "first available network). However I cannot then access any websites and just get the unavailable message.
Is there a setting on my laptop that is preventing access to the web?

Skills 23:24 29 Sep 05

I believe you need to pay for the access you will then be given a password or something similar(am not sure how it all works exactly) which will allow you access to their network.

johnboyblue 23:39 29 Sep 05

Sure, I understand that but I do not get the homepage which would invite me to sign in and give payment details. It has worked in some areas but not in them all which is why I wonder if it is a security setting or something else which I am missing.

Kansenji 21:18 01 Oct 05

With difficulty!

moodboom 10:15 08 Oct 05

Don't laugh but isn't there a coffee-jockey in starbucks that you can ask. Not all places have payment details through the browser. You get a ticket from the counter and you pay for time up front. Am gonna watch this thread with interest though.

johnboyblue 11:12 08 Oct 05

I don't think that is the answer. In places where there is a code to enter you still get a web page on screen with a box to fill.
I have encountered this problem in hotels where my colleague's laptop has worked OK. I am guessing that the set up for my home network has some kind of security setting which is preventing me from accessing these public networks. And yet it does work in some places.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…