How do I connect printer to Wireless network?

Faser 19:08 13 Jun 04

I going to connect my laptop with a wireless router and PC card (Belkin). My PC is connected to cable broadband and the printer linked to a usb port on the PC.

How do I connect my USB printer to this setup. Will the PC have to be on to print from the laptop?

bremner 19:12 13 Jun 04

Yes the machine the printer is connected to will have to be on.

On the laptop go to Add Printer and choose Network printer when given the choice, then choose browse for printersand you should then see the printer on your LAN.

fitshase 19:31 13 Jun 04

If you haven't already bought your wireless kit then it may be worth looking for a router with a print server. Netgear to a 54G wireless router with a USB print server (click here). Plug your printer into the router and then install the printer port onto the computers.

If you have already bought your kit then I'm afraid you will have to have one computer on (the one with the printer attached) in order to print.

Regards

Faser 20:39 13 Jun 04

Had a look at your suggestion fitshase my printer, Canon i470D, has not been tested to be compatible. I will have to decide if worth the risk. At least I know from bremner how to connect if I go with a router without a print server.

Many thanks for your advice.

Forum Editor 23:51 13 Jun 04

before going down the wireless print server road. I have known some of my clients become almost suicidal over trying to get these devices to work, and I would personally opt for the less complex option suggested by bremner.

Let me qualify that statement by confessing that I have no personal experience of the Netgear router with print server mentioned by fitshase - it may work well, although you must be sure to check that your printer is on its compatibility list before buying.

Forum Editor 23:52 13 Jun 04

I didn't spot the fact that you have already checked, and your printer isn't on the list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…