How do I connect a new monitor to a new PC?

Burgess007 19:50 08 Sep 10

This might be the stupidest question yet but i've a new monitor and a new pc. How do I use a cd to load monitor drivers if I can't see the screen?

johnnyrocker 19:51 08 Sep 10

do you need to?

johnny

birdface 19:52 08 Sep 10

Just connect them using the cable supplied and it should work ok.

northumbria61 19:59 08 Sep 10

It should be "plug 'n play" so just connect it.

Burgess007 20:00 08 Sep 10

I don't know if I need to. I tried the screen today with my old laptop to make sure it worked ok and I had to restart the computer before it recognised the monitor, so I guess if I don't turn on the new PC until everything is connected it should be ok. Right?

peter99co 20:03 08 Sep 10

I have changed the monitor three times now without any problem.

I have an Acer Revo clipped on the back of my latest flatscreen TV and it operates via an HDMI cable.

You might have to adjust the resolution but that is simple enough.

grey george 20:07 08 Sep 10

You may need the software to get the best out of the new monitor but to get started just plug it in. The system will default to standard vga mode if it can't find any other drivers.

peter99co 21:53 08 Sep 10

Any feedback would be helpful.

BT 08:27 09 Sep 10

" I guess if I don't turn on the new PC until everything is connected it should be ok. Right?"

This is good practise at the best of times. You should always turn of the PC before connecting peripherals. USB devices can normally be connected without switching off, but with other devices its better to be cautious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…