How do I connect my network to broadband?

Red Devil 12:07 31 May 03

Ok, I'm soon to get broadband in my area (July 16th) and I'm wondering as to the best way to connect my network to a broadband connection.

I've got 3 computers on my network (but no server and the network runs really slow when I've got all 3 connected) and currently my setup is to have my main desktop PC as the computer that connects via modem to the internet with ICS running and to connect via this computer with the other 2.

So how do I go about connecting this setup to broadband?

Do I keep the setup I have at the moment and just replace the modem I've got with a broadband modem?

Do I get a broadband router instead with the same setup?

What if I build a dedicated server? If I buy a case then I've got enough bits to build a server. What would be the best way of connecting a server/3 client computer setup to broadband?

Any advice (or links to websites that deal with this sort of thing) would be much appreciated.

jazzypop 12:22 31 May 03

My advice would be to buy an ADSL combined modem / router (e.g. the Netgear DG814). Simply connect that to your phone socket, and each PC to the router.

There is no need for a dedicated server, just to network your ADSL connection.

See click here for more info

Rayuk 13:13 31 May 03

Broadband via ?????
phone line or cable

Red Devil 13:18 31 May 03

I'll be getting broadband via a phoneline. I live on an island and, apparantly, it's too expensive to bring cable to us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…