How do I connect my laptop to my Stereo?

andy625 16:34 03 Mar 05

I have recently had broadband connected at home, and I am wading my way through the humdereds of wonderful internet radio stations. I would really like to be able to listen to the internet station through my hi-fi in our lounge.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect my laptop to my Stereo so that I can listen to internet radio through my hi-fi speakers, rather than the tinny ones in my laptop?

The laptop is an IBM thinkpad 1Gb processor, and the only connectors I can see on the side appart from USB, is a headphone socket plus two others the same size. One has a symbol next to it which is a circle with a horizontal line leading to the centre.

Is there a lead I can buy to take the output from the laptop into the "audio in" on the stereo (the same as I do with my sky box)? Or is it more involved than that?

We have the broadband connected to a Netgear wireless router, so I'm assuming there is going to be some way of doing it "wirefree". I would be interested to know how to do this as well, but at the moment, I'd like to do it the cheapest way possible.

Thanks in advance.

stlucia 16:55 03 Mar 05

The other two sockets are normally line-in and microphone in.

You should be able to connect the headphone socket to the aux-in or line-in socket on your hi-fi system. The only problem is that the volume will then be controlled by both the laptop and the hi-fi volume controls; not an issue really if you don't fiddle with the laptop volume control once you found a suitable setting.

You should be able to get a lead with the appropriate plugs from a PC or a hi-fi store.

andy625 17:10 03 Mar 05

Thanks, I thought that might have been the case. I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…