How do I connect my laptop to my desktop computer

Waynep 14:09 20 Sep 06

I have tried to connect my laptop to my desktop without the use of a router and it won't let me, they new computers both have network cards installed and I've connected them together with a utp cat.5e cable.
Thanx

ade.h 15:29 20 Sep 06

How mean of it!

I suspect that you may actually be referring to your firewalls, which will, of course, need to be configured. click here for the bare essentials of basic ad-hoc networking.

Waynep 18:46 20 Sep 06

I don't want to share an internet connection but need to connect my two computers

lozparry 18:51 20 Sep 06

"I've connected them together with a utp cat.5e cable."

Is that a crossover cable you are using?

Waynep 18:59 20 Sep 06

I've got a wireless home network.
but i want to connect my laptop to my desktop using a utp.5e cable but every time I try to connect both my ethernet cards won't.
Driving me mad.

ade.h 19:02 20 Sep 06

I didn't mention ICS, Waynep, and I am aware that you didn't either. The link still applies.

ade.h 19:03 20 Sep 06

It would be helpful if you gave more information about HOW they fail to connect: Warning messages? No ping? Connected but not browsing successfully?

Waynep 19:04 20 Sep 06

call me stupid but what is ics?
also I have a dlink624 in my desktop and an intel on my sony vaio.

ade.h 19:26 20 Sep 06

Internet Connection Sharing - the thing that you said you didn't need.

ade.h 19:27 20 Sep 06

By the way; are you sure that you have a D-Link DI-624? That is a router, which would make all this about 50 times easier.

ade.h 19:28 20 Sep 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…