How do I connect comp to new lounge speakers.

bda72 08:09 03 Nov 03

Hi,

I have just purchased a set of Sony HTK25 5.1 speakers for my DVD player. So far I have connected the DVD through the digital coax input and the Sky box into one of the twin phono inputs(manual shows Sky into optical input but sky box doesn't have one). This leaves me with one twin phono input(planned for the video) and two optical inputs free.
What I would like to do is connect my computer to this speaker set up in the lounge so I can use the computer as a jukebox but I will have to use one of the optical inputs and there lies my problem.
My present sound card is the old Sound Blaster live 5.1 which I need to change for a card with an optical output. I have never done anything like this and I am not up to speed on sound cards or if it is possible to run this cable the 10-12 metres required.
Does anyone have any experience of resonable prices sound cards with an optical output and is it possible to get/use a cable of upto 12 metres.

Many thanks for any help or advice.

Barry.

Here's a Soundblaster Card that should be OK

click here

Have a look here for leads
click here

or search Google for others.

Ben Avery 13:23 03 Nov 03

...would be to buy a RCA junction box from a hi-fi vendor like Hughes which allows several sets of Inputs to be connected to a main output. You could then connect the last set of Phono's (RCA's) on the speaker system to the output of the junction box and connect your VCR and Soundblaster soundcard to 2 sets of the RCA inputs saving you the need to buy a new soundcard!

BA

Ben Avery 13:27 03 Nov 03

Something along the lines of this:

click here

There are plenty about - some have selector switches, others do not.

BA

bda72 16:57 03 Nov 03

Thanks for the ideas guys, I shall have a look at them tonight. Any other ideas please feel free to post them.

Many thanks.

p.s. I am trying to keep the wiring to a minimum and hidden, I can only work on the wiring when the better half is not around as she has no idea of the mess hidden behind the cabinet. Any excuses for when the wiring is finally discovered would also be greatfully received;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…