HOW DO I CONNECT BROADBAND TO MY LAPTOP ?

gel 19:28 29 Jun 06

Hello
I have puchased a Dell Inspiron 1300 Lap top and want to connect my broadband connection which is currently connected to the desk top.
The connection from the wanadoo 'speed touch device to the rear of desk top is in the form of a USB connector whereas the connection to the laptop appears to need a small telephone connector.
Can you help please
gel

mgmcc 19:40 29 Jun 06

If you are just wanting to swap the connection over from Desktop to Laptop, you will have to install the modem software in the laptop, unplug it from the desktop and plug it into the laptop's USB port.

The port you have seen on the laptop is probably an RJ11 one to connect a modem cable to the phone line in order to use the laptop's built-in 56k "dialup" modem.

An alternative solution is to connect the two computers using a "crossover" ethernet cable and enable Internet Connection Sharing on the Desktop PC's internet connection. Then both PCs can have internet access simultaneously, provided the "host" PC is online.

Stuartli 19:47 29 Jun 06

mgmcc's suggestion is the easiest method (it's the one I use when I occasionally borrow a mate's laptop to update it etc).

If you have other USB devices, connect a powered four port USB hub to your laptop's USB port and you can continue to use these (up to three plus the modem) at the same time.

gel 19:58 29 Jun 06

Thank you very much.
I just want to try the Laptop (its new today-another toy my wife says)
Eventually I want to have wireless connections so that I can use my desk top and my lap top.
So Stuartli suggestion is very welcome
Thanks
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…