How do I conn 2 PCs to One Monitor

prince midas 16:25 PM 30 Apr 11

I bought a new Monitor about 6 Months ago aand I have now got a new Windows 7 PC.The old Pc is XP. My son tells me my new PC would support running 2 PCs from one monitor, but the monitor I bought will not.I am not going to buy another monitor.

I find that if I want to use the other Pc I must swap the Power lead & Monitor connections over.This is a pain. Can I buy a connector with 2 power sockets & 2 monitor connectors.

canarieslover 16:29 PM 30 Apr 11

You need a Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch. link text

LastChip 17:05 PM 30 Apr 11

Be very careful.

canarieslover is quite correct, but, Windows 7 is notorious for KVM switches. Make sure you choose one that has native Windows 7 support, otherwise, you could be very disappointed and waste your money.

I know Aten have switches that comply and no doubt there are others, but choose carefully. Aten UK

Woolwell 18:53 PM 30 Apr 11

A new PC should not make any difference to running 2 PC's to one monitor but it could make a difference with 1 PC and 2 Monitors.

KVM switches have been around for some time.

robin_x 19:00 PM 30 Apr 11

What do you need/use/run on the XP machine?

I use remote access Logmein or Teamviewer from laptop to Desktop. But it's limited usage.

I may set up the TV tuner card to record something. Or set a video transcoding job going.

It's not really suitable to do a lot of actual work or play a game that way.

prince midas 11:04 AM 01 May 11

I wish to keep various old programs going back 25 years which still run on XP but not Windows 7. Can I buy an Aten in West Yorkshire anywhere.

LastChip 13:21 PM 02 May 11

The easiest way (in my view) is to order it on-line.

This is the switch I know that works and is reasonably priced:

CS22U Switch

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites