How do I conn 2 PCs to One Monitor

prince midas 30 Apr 11

I bought a new Monitor about 6 Months ago aand I have now got a new Windows 7 PC.The old Pc is XP. My son tells me my new PC would support running 2 PCs from one monitor, but the monitor I bought will not.I am not going to buy another monitor.

I find that if I want to use the other Pc I must swap the Power lead & Monitor connections over.This is a pain. Can I buy a connector with 2 power sockets & 2 monitor connectors.

canarieslover 30 Apr 11

You need a Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch. link text

LastChip 30 Apr 11

Be very careful.

canarieslover is quite correct, but, Windows 7 is notorious for KVM switches. Make sure you choose one that has native Windows 7 support, otherwise, you could be very disappointed and waste your money.

I know Aten have switches that comply and no doubt there are others, but choose carefully. Aten UK

Woolwell 30 Apr 11

A new PC should not make any difference to running 2 PC's to one monitor but it could make a difference with 1 PC and 2 Monitors.

KVM switches have been around for some time.

robin_x 30 Apr 11

What do you need/use/run on the XP machine?

I use remote access Logmein or Teamviewer from laptop to Desktop. But it's limited usage.

I may set up the TV tuner card to record something. Or set a video transcoding job going.

It's not really suitable to do a lot of actual work or play a game that way.

prince midas 01 May 11

I wish to keep various old programs going back 25 years which still run on XP but not Windows 7. Can I buy an Aten in West Yorkshire anywhere.

LastChip 02 May 11

The easiest way (in my view) is to order it on-line.

This is the switch I know that works and is reasonably priced:

CS22U Switch

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to set up Apple Music & make sure you don't get charged: Get Apple Music for free

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message