How do I clone an SSD 500gig to a 500gig HDD

jan42 17:39 12 Apr 15

The 500gig SSD is on my PC running Windows Pro 7 and the HDD is on a Seagate stand alone I have used in the past to clone the C drive. Now that I have replaced the C drive with an SSD I want to continue to continue cloning the SDD to the HDD including the system software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 13 Apr 15

same way as you did before

makes no difference if its a HDD or a SSD your cloning.

I prefer to take images as they are compressed and take up less space.

Frost_WD 15:37 15 Apr 15

Hi @jan42,

As @Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested you could simply use the cloning software provided by the manufacturer of your SSD. However, if you are looking for backup I would suggest backing up your files and leaving the rest as programs and applications (in most cases) can be easily reinstalled. I'm mentioning that because with a clone you make an exact copy of the drive and that includes all errors, unneeded data and malware (if there is any). This is also the reason why a fresh install of the OS is recommended rather than cloning. Also, when cloning SSDs to HDDs there, is chance that one of the drive will be recognized as the wrong type. In such cases functions such as “trim” may not be available on the SSD as it can be recognized as an HDD for example. A system image is also a good alternative, however, proving more information as to what exactly you are looking for when making the clone would be helpful.

Hope it helps, Frost_WD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017