How do I Change normal.dot template in Word XP

deannatrois 08:18 08 May 03

I am getting increasingly irritated by the way Word XP insists on making everything a mucky brown (fonts, lines, borders). Its to do with the tracking facility in Word but I don't want this facility at all.

I have tried changing the normal.dot template so everything is in the normal black, but it tries to save it under another template name (i.e. its not the default template) so I have the same problem I had before. I can't find out how to change normal.dot and then make the changed template the default template.

All I want is to be able to easily produce a document in black ink, every time, without laborously changing all settings. I used to be able to with older versions of word. I have tried Word help.., but as usual it hasn't lol!

temp003 08:36 08 May 03

I have always found it difficult to do this. Supposedly you can click Tools, select Templates and Add-ins (at least in Word 2000), select the template (normal in your case), and tick the option automatically update document styles. Click OK.

Then just edit your document. Save it in the normal way as a .doc file, but styles changes will be made to normal.dot as well (and if prompted, confirm changes to normal.dot). Then go back to the Tools menu and deselect the option mentioned above.

The way I do it, is to open a blank document. Make the necessary style changes. Save it as a .doc file, e.g. normal.doc. Close Word. Locate the normal.dot file on the computer. Either delete it, or rename it. Then rename normal.doc to normal.dot and move it to the folder where it should be. Then next time you open Word, the new normal.dot will take effect. With this method, I find I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

VoG™ 08:36 08 May 03

If you mean that you want to reset it to the defaults...

Close Word.

Do a search for normal.dot - you will have to include hidden files and folders in the search. Then rename it to normal.old or whatever.

Start Word and it will create a new normal.dot.

fitshase 13:08 08 May 03

How have you been trying to change the normal.dot? If you have been creating a new template in Word and then trying to save it as Normal.dot then Word will not let you.

You need to do a search for Normal.dot on your computer then:-

- open Word

- click File\Close

- click File\Open

- Browse to where Normal.dot is located

- Select Normal.dot and then click on Open

- Make the necessary changes then simply click File\Save

That should work.

Regards

Fitshase

deannatrois 16:27 08 May 03

Many thanks for your replies. Not being one to give up easily I shall try the suggestions u have made.

So much for XP being user friendly he he !

BRYNIT 16:37 08 May 03

To make changes to default setting in word.doc

When making changes to any settings, always set it to automatic. This will set colour to black. When changing font colour/type go to format/font select font type and automatic for colour, bottom left you should find a default button, select this it will ask if you want to change the default setting. Select OK this will change the font in word.dot template.

Any other setting with a default button, should be selected to allow changes to dot template

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…