How do I change a .INI file to .RAR?

BIGBAGGY 20:21 29 May 06

I have downloaded a file but in the instructions it says "once downloaded change the file from .INI to .RAR Tried right clicking and RENAME but this doesnt change the file extension.

mattyc_92 20:27 29 May 06

I don't understand what you are trying to do..
*.ini files are configuration settings and *.rar files are compressed archives

They are totally different, so even if you did change the extension (see near end of post), the file wouldn't be a rar file

Anyway, to change the file-extension, click "Tools->Folder Options" and untick "Hide known file extensions"
Now, simply rename the file, and don't forget the file extension!!

De Marcus™ 20:27 29 May 06

Why would you want to convert a .ini file to a compressed file format extension of the .rar variety?

martjc 20:30 29 May 06

...An .INI file is an 'initialisation' file containing critical settings for Windows. A RAR file is a file in a form of compression, like a ZIP file.
I think your instructions are unclear. Any more info would be appreciated.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:33 29 May 06

Perhaps you could tell us the name of the file and where you downloaded it from.

BIGBAGGY 19:52 31 May 06

Well I done it and it worked. I know what you are saying and I didnt understand it either but as I say its now a RAR file AND UNRARRED ;-)

De Marcus™ 22:11 31 May 06

If you don't mind, just how did you do it?

BIGBAGGY 22:50 31 May 06

Just done what MATTYC_92 advised above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…