how do I change icons on files

Sapins 15:15 19 Sep 14

On Windows 7 the icons on some files have changed to the Firefox logo, before they had a small picture of the contents, how do I change them back?

rdave13 15:21 19 Sep 14

Here's a link showing how to restore default icons in 7, click here .

rdave13 15:23 19 Sep 14

That link is only for the Windows icons, sorry.

rdave13 15:30 19 Sep 14

You can rebuild the icon cashe, "If you need to rebuild the Icon cache, Open File Explorer > Folder Options > Views to show Hidden System Files. Next, go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file. Reboot. This action will purge and rebuild the icon cache".

From here.

Sapins 15:31 19 Sep 14

rdave13, never mind, thanks for responding.

tullie 15:35 19 Sep 14

Can you not right click,then properties, then click "on Change Icon"?

Sapins 15:42 19 Sep 14

tullie, that doesn't work.

rdave13 16:15 19 Sep 14

Rebuilding the cashe should fix the corruption.

Woolwell 18:55 19 Sep 14

The reference to files is I think the clue. Is Firefox your default browser? It is probable that Firefox has been set at the default program for those files. Suggest you check file association.

Sapins 19:15 19 Sep 14

Woolwell, thanks for your reply. Yes, Firefox is the default browser, how do I check file association please?

Woolwell 20:10 19 Sep 14

Click on the Start button and then in the search box type "file association". Yoou should see at the top of the list "Change the file type associated with a file extension". Open that and wait for it to be populated. Scroll down and check which files have got Firefox against them. They should be web types eg html.

Is it a particular file extension that has the Firefox icon? If so look for that file extension.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…