How do I boot from a floppy?

carl48 19:54 25 Apr 03

I am running Windows XP Home edition on a Multivision computer and would like to be able to boot from a floppy disk in an emergency. I have a Drive Image floppy for that purpose, but when I try it out my computer boots straight into Windows as normal. I know that in Windows 9X the BIOS could be set to check for a floppy disk in Drive A but I can't find any such settings on XP. When I press the F8 key on bootup I just get a list of options which includes booting in Safe Mode and so on, but nothing that lets me set an option for checking my floppy A-drive.

Can anyone advise me how to set the computer to check for disks in Drive A?

Thanks

xalemo 19:58 25 Apr 03

what is your emergency?

Rayuk 20:06 25 Apr 03

You will have to enter the bios and change the boot sequence from there.
Ist Boot floppy
2nd Ide 0
3rd CDROM
try any other Enabled

carl48 20:11 25 Apr 03

Thanks Rayuk. The thing is, I don't know how to get into my BIOS. It was straightforward in Windows 98 but can't find how to do it in XP.

leo49 20:14 25 Apr 03

It depends on your motherboard not Windows. Refer to your motherboard manual how to enter the Bios - or try pressing Del as you boot.

Regards

howard60 20:16 25 Apr 03

when you first switch on before windows start to load - it normally says press del or f1 or something to go into bios.

woodchip 20:25 25 Apr 03

The words it say's on screen when you boot your computer are "To Enter Setup Press XXXXX" the XXXXX is the key you press when you see the above on screen most CMOS settings use the Delete key but it may say something different. Then if you get into the CMOS follow the infractions bottom right corner of screen to navigate the pages etc. As above you need to set the first boot device to floppy disc. Also save changes when you exit CMOS

woodchip 20:26 25 Apr 03

The words it say's on screen when you boot your computer are "To Enter Setup Press XXXXX" the XXXXX is the key you press when you see the above on screen most CMOS settings use the Delete key but it may say something different. Then if you get into the CMOS follow the Instructions bottom right corner of screen to navigate the pages etc. As above you need to set the first boot device to floppy disc. Also save changes when you exit CMOS

carl48 21:01 25 Apr 03

Thanks, you guys. Got my head around it at last!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…