How do I block usage of MSN Messenger

emmandelo1 11:37 24 Mar 03

My daughters usage of Messenger is getting out of hand. Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to block her access to it? I have tried Apps-Protector but for some reason it will not lock it. I don't really want to put Net Nanny or anything like that on the machine. Just something that will not let her open it.

powerless 11:43 24 Mar 03

Operating system?

emmandelo1 11:48 24 Mar 03

Sorry, Win XP Pro

emmandelo1 11:49 24 Mar 03

Sorry, Win XP Pro

powerless 11:59 24 Mar 03

XP pro, ok i do not have that i have XP Home but if you log on as Administrator...

On the start menu click on "Set Program Access and Defaults"...

Click on "Custom"...

Scroll down to "Choose a defualt Instant Messenging program:"...

Then next to Windows Messenger, take the tick out of "Enable access to this program"...

Click "ok"...

Messenger is no longer available.

To use it again pop that tick back in the box.

It maybe different on XP pro so if you see non of the above just wait till someone with XP pro comes along.

emmandelo1 12:07 24 Mar 03

Thanks Powerless, but it must be different on XP Pro as I can't find any of the things you suggest on the start menu. I had a look in Admin Tools, Security Policies, but it all looks a bit complicated..

powerless 12:09 24 Mar 03

:-(

Sir Radfordin™ 12:14 24 Mar 03

You will need to have SP1 installed to do what Powerless has suggested. It will work in XP Pro.

If you haven't got the option as shown above (and you do have SP1) then go go the control panel and add remove. Down the left hand side there is a column of icon, the last one being Set Programe access defaults. Select this and then custom and you can disable access to MSN.

hugh-265156 12:16 24 Mar 03

im guessing here but can you get a new .net password and set it that it must be typed in to access?

powerless 12:18 24 Mar 03

Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

control.exe appwiz.cpl,,3

Click "ok" or press enter...

You can access "Set Program Access and Defaults" from there.

Never knew about SP1 having to be installed for that, i do now ;-)

hugh-265156 12:20 24 Mar 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…