How do i block cookies by default...

grabster 20:35 17 Jul 04

I changed my security settings and now every time i open a new website i have to either block or allow cookies.
Now the problem is, that as a family we do a lot of surfing and i was wondering is there a default setting to block all cookies as i would find it easier to activate cookies for a page that wont load rather than have to block everything that i come across.
By the way, the reason for my paronia is my recent convertal to on-line banking so the less info that is stored on my pc the better.

obbit 20:47 17 Jul 04

click here

scroll down till you come to cookies

CurlyWhirly 20:50 17 Jul 04

GRABSTER

You can't block ALL cookies as this in some cases (like internet banking) prevents you from opening some websites!
What you need to do is go to START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > INTERNET OPTIONS > PRIVACY and change to 'medium-high'

You may also have enabled the 'override automatic cookie handling' option in PRIVACY > ADVANCED.
If so just untick the box.

If you select 'high' or 'block all cookies' this will cause you problems accessing some websites.
To make you feel even safer you can stop your banking information being stored on your hard drive in the first place by START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > INTERNET OPTIONS > ADVANCED and tick the box 'do not save encrypted pages to disk' which is near the bottom.
Even if the box is unticked the information stored on your hard drive is still scrambled using 128 bit encryption but as I also use my PC for internet banking I also tick this box for extra security!
If you right click your mouse on the description a 'what's this?' banner comes up and if you click on this you will be able to read a description of the setting!
CW

canard 20:50 17 Jul 04

IE6 will block all cookies via the security tab and selecting custom level.

grabster 21:04 17 Jul 04

Thanks for all the advice,changed my settings to medium high and hopefully i can stop having to click all those bloomin boxes.
cheers all.

Audeal 23:31 17 Jul 04

You could try Cookie Wall. This will control all cookies so you can allow which ones you want to be placed on you system. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…