How do I back my system?

ambepc 22:03 25 Aug 03

I have a very old IBM computer which was given to me second hand with windows xp professional installed on it. it has a floppy drive which doesnt work and only a CD Rom drive. How do i back up my system, as I have no removable storage device. Apologies in advance if this question seems obvious, I am complete beginner with what appears to be very advanced operating system that I am trying to master. Please help

krypt1c 22:08 25 Aug 03

Why not install a cd-rw. They're fairly chaep these days. Check here click here

TommyRed 22:21 25 Aug 03

I installed a CD-RW myself, a year ago I wouldn't of took the case off. The instructions where relatively easy to understand, if you don't feel confident, ask your local computer store. You should pick up a reasonable one for about £40/50 try and make sure the Nero software comes bundled with it. I use Acronis True Image 6.0 which takes an image of your drive so you can re-install to that point if you come unstuck in future. I paid around £35 for mine but I believe you can get earlier versions for free, sorry don't know where, but I'm sure someone on here does. Good Luck, post here if you have problems. TR

Tinkey Winkey 22:30 25 Aug 03

TommyRed - Are drive imaging programs different from Roxios Go Back or System Restore ?

krypt1c 22:32 25 Aug 03

Should have included this link click here where you can get Norton Systemworks Pro 2002 for £24.00. This includes Norton Ghost.

Blitzer 23:48 25 Aug 03

The Pink Panther,

No. (sorry for butting in!) :)

A dedicated imaging program such as Norton Ghost or Drive Image do exactly that, allow you to create an image of your HD as and when you require. You can pretty much think of an image as photograph that captures a given scene at the point when the shutter was released.

Go Back is similar, but continually updates the image on the fly and creates safe points for you to "go back" to if something goes wrong. On the face of it Go Back is a seemingly good method of ensuring any arising problems can be rectified. However, it's by no means a backup solution and also has other downsides. Excessive HD activity due to the constant updating of the HD image. Only allows you to keep a recent backup of changes due to having a set amount of HD space set aside for Go Backs use. I used to use and like Go Back, but after a while I realised it was causing other system problems such as problems shutting down. Not to mention the excessive HD activity being a worry.

I've only used System restore a couple of times on my other system that has Windows XP (running 98se here). I've only found this to be of limited use and is certainly not a backup solution.

I've only recently started using Norton Ghost myself and it does seem to be a good method of system backup giving you possibly the simiplest of ways to backup your system and then restore it quickly at a future date if required. Much MUCH faster than having re-install windows, all your hardware/software drivers, then software and finally any files you may have backed up. Anyone, who has re-installed windows knows it can be a long winded afair taking hours depending on how much software etc. you have. Using imaging software is a much more straight forward and MUCH faster solution. It now only takes me about 10-15 minutes to backup or restore my system. HTH. :)

krypt1c 23:58 25 Aug 03

Spot on Blitzer. I've used system restore on my other pc [WinMe} and it's not as smart as it thinks it is. And, i think, if you use windows update it deletes restore points. And if you get a virus, and it gets locked into a restore point you can't get rid of it without turning of restore, which again gets rid of your restore points. K ;-))

Tinkey Winkey 00:10 26 Aug 03

Blitzer, Thankyou very much indeed .Most Comprehensive.I will learn to use Norton Ghost ASAP.I think this should apply to ambepc aswell.

ambepc 22:06 26 Aug 03

thanks for the advice everyone, especially krypt1c and TommyRed. I will purchase a CDrw and Norton Systemworks and start using Norton Ghost ASAP!

TommyRed 22:36 26 Aug 03

Sorry all had to go offline for quite a while. ambepc, Norton Ghost, DriveImage and TrueImage are very similar programs, I chose TrueImage to suit my own needs and reading what other people say. Having had to re-format after a major problem is not something I'd like to do for a long time. Good Luck. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…