how do i back up everything?

Mysticnas 20:01 20 Dec 03

Hi all,

I think it's time to back up my 40gb drive which is my OS drive. It's only got about 4gb left on it.

Whats best way to do it? a drive image? a regular back up? not really sure what to do.

I want to get another 40gb drive and setup raid 0 with the drives. I've got a 120gb drive too, which will stay as my storage drive. i got about 50gb left on that.

Gaz 25 20:13 20 Dec 03

Drive image, or HDD > HDD software if you have another IDE.

DieSse 20:16 20 Dec 03

I use Acronis True Image to create an image, and also XXclone (winXP) to make a cloned drive (which I keep in a caddy, outside the system. Both are excellent, in their own ways.

wee eddie 20:19 20 Dec 03

External HDD - Maxtor XT500 or a LaCie job.

For longer compatibility, both USB2 and Firewire.

Mysticnas 14:35 24 Dec 03

save all your working files or anything does it?

i just saves your system files and setup doesn't it?

Big Elf 14:43 24 Dec 03

I know cash play a part but with the amount of storage you need then maybe a 200GB+ hard drive might be an idea.

I also use Acronis TrueImage and it takes a 'snapshot' of the whole (single) drive including OS ready to restore in the event of problems.

Big Elf 14:45 24 Dec 03

I missed the fact that you keep your data on a separate drive. Using a disk image doesn't just limit you to the one drive. You could image your OS drive and then create a separate image for your data.

Big Elf 14:47 24 Dec 03

Sorry. I might be talking rubbish, I think. I don't know if you could use an image to restore data only.

hugh-265156 15:03 24 Dec 03

if you use acronis,drive image,ghost etc.then this backs up everything,files,folders,games,programs,windows updates the lot.

it creates an exact image of your hard drive to either cdrom(will take a few for 40gig even with compression) or to another can then reinstall this image and be up and running exactly as you were in under half an hour.

a simple back up wont do this.

Mysticnas 15:06 24 Dec 03

can i save to DVD too? or will it only restore the image back from a CDROM?

hugh-265156 15:16 24 Dec 03

acronis will back up to the following:

Hard disk drives
Networked storage devices
ZIP®, Jazz® and other removable media
IDE, SCSI, FireWire and USB 1.0 / 2.0 drives, PC card storage devises.

click here for more info.

i think most other image programs will do similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…