How do I add a site to a trusted zone?

skeletal 12:53 03 Jun 05

Hi all

I have another really simple question that will no doubt be impossible to sort out!

I have made a very (very!) simple “Web Site” in Microsoft Front Page that just has a few buttons on it that when pressed, directs me to web sites. I have set IE up so this “Web Site” is my home page. Thus, when I start IE, I am presented with a few buttons that will quickly link me to my favourite sites. Simple!

BUT, when my “site” tries to open, I get error messages telling me how dangerous my site is and I have to keep confirming I want it to open, negating the whole purpose of the simple/fast way of getting to sites.

So, I tried to include my site in the various trusted zones in IE, in particular the intranet one. The problem is that I then get an error message saying: “You have entered an invalid wildcard sequence etc etc”. I expect this is because my site’s path is “F:\My folder\My site” rather than: “hxyz://mysite.com”.

I don’t want to totally turn off the IE warnings because they can sometimes be useful, so how can I stop the stupid things warning me about my “site”?

I have very little experience of using web site designers etc., but everything works fine except for the unnecessary warnings.

Skeletal

Eric10 13:29 03 Jun 05

You must have XP SP2 intalled as this is one of its security features. Open Internet Explorer and got to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security section at the bottom and tick "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer". If you need to run a webpage from a CD then also tick the "Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer".

skeletal 14:39 03 Jun 05

Eric10 I'm impressed...your suggestion works! (I usually end up with impossible problems!!).

I do have SP2 and as I've not tried this before, I didn't realise about another set of tick boxes...my simple brain would have suggested anything to do with security would have been under security...

Thanks very much! (And for the CD tip as well).

Skeletal

steve263000 14:46 03 Jun 05

I have also wondered how to stop the warning coming up when I use FP as it always warns me although I know the content is safe. So thanks Eric10 for the information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…