How Do I access My ADSL Router

The Paul 07:18 17 Nov 05

I'm trying to set up 2 WiFi connections to my existing cabled network. I understand I can do this.

At present I have what I understand to be an ADSL Router/Modem which has the possibility of connecting to my main PC via either USB or Ethernet. I have used the (preferred - preferred by Alice my ADSL ISP) Ethernet method. The system is up and running and I have 3 pc's all sharing and on the Internet.

Yesterday I installed 2 WiFi cards to 2 other computers which I want to add to the network to mainly share the Internet. The drivers installed okay but neither can connect to the network and neither can see it.

I do not understand the WiFi technology at all - and the security aspect of it bothers me. I have no access (as far as I can see) to the Router/Modem to see what settings it has and look for any KEY which it might have established. I have looked in "View Network Connections" and it doesn’t show.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Taff™ 07:29 17 Nov 05

What is the make and model of the ADSL Router Modem?

mgmcc 09:20 17 Nov 05

Is it actually a *WIRELESS* Router/Modem? If not, you would have to plug a "Wireless Access Point" into it by ethernet cable to provide wireless connectivity into the wired network.

The Paul 11:24 17 Nov 05

There is no actual make shown - it was supplied by y ADSL ISP (here in France) what it shows is -Alice * VoIP IAD * Model: CT-633 * P/N: 222458-014 Terminal Triway V2.

There is a PCMCI type card in the slot in the side which is set up for WiFi connections. I have run the software for this and it tells me that the WiFi aspect is working okay as does the indication light.

mgmcc 12:07 17 Nov 05

Is there anything on the PCMCIA type card to tell you exactly what it is? For example, is it a conventional 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter that you would connect to over an "Ad Hoc" network, or is it a dedicated card for that particular router in which case it might be a "Wireless Access Point" to create an "Infrastructure" network?

The Paul 12:34 17 Nov 05

cheers mgmcc - it states

Carte (card)- Wi-Fi
802.11b/g - 54 Mbps
Model: GN-WMKG 3.3V
Compatible IEEE 802.11b/g
DSSS in the band ISM to 2.4GHz
OFDM in the band ISM to 2.4GHz

MAC: ID: 0014858E9112

mgmcc 13:05 17 Nov 05

It appears to be a Gigabyte branded 802.11g network adapter. I would think, therefore, that you need to configure it to work in "Ad Hoc" mode, give it its SSID (Network name) and set the channel number, but this is dependent on the software you have for configuring it. Normally it would be plugged into a laptop rather than a router. The wireless adapters in the other two PCs then have to be configured similarly with the same SSID and channel number. Channel 11 is the default and unless you have reception issues, it doesn't need to be altered.

If the software for the various WiFi adapters has the option to connect to both "Ad Hoc" and "Infrastructure" networks, rather than having to specify which one, use that option.

Not sure what else to suggest :-?

The Paul 13:33 17 Nov 05

thanks for this. I'll try to do as you say and see where this takes me.

Thanks for your help mate

The Paul 06:46 19 Nov 05

Just to let you know that I have no run through what you suggested and the devices are connecting but, so far, are not seeing each other. I suspect its IP addresses or something. I'll keep at it and let you know how I go.

mgmcc 09:43 19 Nov 05

You may have to allocate fixed IP addresses to the card in the router and to the cards in the PCs using the same range as that of the router itself.

The Paul 17:44 19 Nov 05

I've just checked the WLAN SetUp info for the router etc and there are no entries for the WLAN except channel and the SSID.

Should I use the same IP range as the router and cabled cards and the same Subnet? EG the cabled IP is the normal 192.168.1.?? and the Subnet 255.255.255.0. So should I insert the IP range - say 192.168.1.16 and the same subnet.

Does this make sense?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…