How do I access the contents of a server?

ade.h 18:20 16 Jan 06

I've offered to help someone to rework their site and add some new content, but they don't have a local copy of the code and assets because they are no longer in contact with the guy who designed and uploaded the site for them 2 years ago.

They're pretty sure that they have details of the hosting account that was set up for them but they aren't PC savvy so I won't know until I see these details for myself.

So, assuming I can access the host server, is there an FTP program or similar that will download the assets for me?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Forum Editor 18:28 16 Jan 06

will enable you to transfer copies of all the site files to your hard drive - as long as you have the FTP server and login details of course.

Once you've got your hands on the files it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the FTP password - you'll be able to do it via the hosting control panel (in Internet Explorer, not via FTP).

ade.h 18:43 16 Jan 06

Thanks FE. That's a result. Would you or someone else be able to recommend a free FTP program, no frills required. I have so far only used NOF's built-in FTP, which doesn't - as far as I can tell - have the download ability.

Forum Editor 19:08 16 Jan 06

and ye shall receive:-

click here

ade.h 19:15 16 Jan 06

Thank you very much, FE. I always prefer to use software that comes with a trusted recommendation, and that one looks ideal.

wonnegut 11:36 09 May 06

What do you mean that "comes with a trusted recommendation" - license of some sort?

mco 12:54 09 May 06

he means that if FE has recommended it , it must be trustworthy!

splatter 17:37 11 May 06

But FE could be a master of illusion and getting people to install his program so he can line him self up for world domination!! Is that the case?

No, seriously, smartFTP is a top program, and fileZilla can be OK (click here), I've not read any bad reports about it, but I've also not looked!

Forum Editor 22:57 11 May 06

One thing I can absolutely promise you is that when I make my bid for world domination it will not be via a free FTP program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017