How Do i?

Vindaloo 20:02 08 Feb 06

Hi could someone give me a helping hand.
I bought a desktop H/D case, put one of my old 40gig in,formated the drive.And have come up against a prob trying to install xp pro.Been into my bios done the settings in their.Go to install xp i get sofar and get this message(On x86-based computers,this prob with cmos drive type settings)
Thanks

woodchip 20:11 08 Feb 06

Is this a External Caddy? if so the Drive as to be set as Master for it to work. Jumper on back of drive

Vindaloo 11:37 10 Feb 06

Yes this is an external caddie.I have tried what you said but still no joy.Sorry for being late for the responce.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 10 Feb 06

Are you trying to install the operating system on to the external drive?

Vindaloo 19:44 10 Feb 06

Yes iam,and your answear is why.I know it may sound daft but i what to try something out.
I was speaking to someone today and mentioned it to him,he said was it might only work if you put the H/D in your tower first,install the operating system on it,then take it out and put it into your desktop caddie.He said it might work it might not,he has'nt tried it.

Forum Editor 19:55 10 Feb 06

but only if your BIOS supports booting from a USB device - you need to set the external drive in the boot options.
The BIOS must be able to use the USB port in order to boot the drive, or you'll have a dead computer.

Vindaloo 13:49 11 Feb 06

Problem solved once again thanks to you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…