How to do a clean install of Win 7?

Shadowstorm 13:10 06 Apr 14
Answered

Now that there are tablets and smart phones in the house doing a complete and clean install of Win 7 on my PC that currently has the abomination of Vista on it doesnt seem like a traumatic event. Howvere I would like to make it as painless as possible and intend to do it over the Easter weekend...four days to get it running again. Thought a clean install would give the best results with all the crud that has accumulated on the machine over time being got rid of.

The thing being I have never done anything like this before. So I have backed up all the files I want to keep, sorted a new mail client and found how to export Windows mail files to it.

However what about drivers? I have a Creative sound card and I have found support for that, and I hope to be able to find drivers for the video card, but what else is there? Are there any guides or can anybody give some advice.

I dont want to mmess it up, the scorn from my wife would be unbearable!

Thanks in advance for any assistance and guidance.

onthelimit1 13:25 06 Apr 14
Answer

If you have a genuine dvd for W7, you will probably find that all the drivers are there. I've done fresh installs on a number of laptops, and on completion, no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. As long as you have backed up the important files, the install will take about 30mins. You will have to, of course, reinstall any programs that you are using at the mo. as long as you have the disks, or know where to download them from (and have any 'keys'), you should have a clear run!

Ian in Northampton 14:15 06 Apr 14

Depending on your browser, you may want to back up your favourites and cookies. As onthelimit1 says, W7 is generally pretty good at installing all the drivers you might need for e.g. the motherboard - but just in case it doesn't, you'd do as well to identify what your motherboard is and see if you can locate the drivers for it. Oh, and - let me recommend for the nth time ninite.com - which will automatically download and install the latest and crap-free versions of all the 'other' stuff - browser, Adobe |Reader, iTunes, 7zip, .net, IrfanView and so on. It takes a lot of the hassle and time out of the process.

BRYNIT 14:19 06 Apr 14

This may help CLICK HERE

Shadowstorm 17:16 06 Apr 14

Thank you for your advice. I have had a look at ninite.com, thanks for that, it will be most useful when I get to that point. Now have two weeks to get ready!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac