How to display only names in emails (Windows Live Mail)

exdragon 16:25 26 Jun 13
Answered

Hi - I think I have a mental block: I'm sure I used to be able to address emails to just 'Joe' and not Joe Bloggs ([email protected]) for example.

I know I could do it in Outlook, by adding 'Joe' to the 'Display as' option when I added a contact, but am I missing something in WLM?

Thanks.

rdave13 16:40 26 Jun 13

If you go to contacts, hover the mouse cursor over an address, select edit contact, select contact in the pane, in the new pane that opens just have the Christian name showing in the list and save.

exdragon 17:53 26 Jun 13

Thanks, but the email address is still showing in brackets after the name.

rdave13 18:00 26 Jun 13

Remove the email from the Work email field and put in the Personal email field. Also the primary email address shows Personal in the drop down list field. So in the name fields you'd have Joe, Primary email address = Personal, address only in the Personal email field.

exdragon 08:10 27 Jun 13

Hmm...there isn't an entry in the Work field, just in the Personal one. However, if I put the address in the Work instead of Personal field, it sort of works and the email address isn't shown. I still can't just get the first name showing, though, unless I leave out the surname. And as I have seven people called Pete or Peter, I'd have to be very careful, as one of them is my other half!

It looks as if I'll have to give up on this one. I'll leave it unticked for a couple of days in case inspiration strikes.

rdave13 15:47 27 Jun 13
Answer

Ok I've been playing about a bit. Have first name and surname in the fields. Email as personal and in the personal field with work field empty. Typed a nickname in the nickname field and saved. Now it just shows the nickname when I click to send email. When composing a mail I click on the 'to...' at the top. The list opens for my contacts and it shows the email on the right so you shouldn't be able to send to the wrong 'Peter'. :)

exdragon 17:42 27 Jun 13

Great - just what I need, thanks! Now all I need to do is edit all my Contacts...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…