How to display new mail icon in notification area?

DIYgirl 19:58 02 Mar 06

I've just got my lovely new computer, and in so doing have upgraded from Win 98 to Win XP.

I use Outlook Express for my emails.

In Win 98, whenever a new email landed in my inbox, a little envelope icon would appear in my taskbar, down in the bottom right hand corner where the clock is, so that even if I was working in another window I would see that I had new mail.

In Win XP, this isn't happening, at least not for me, and I can't figure out how to make it happen.

How can I do it? I can't find any help in Help! It does tell me how to toggle the sound notification on and off but as I rarely turn on my speakers this isn't doing it for me.

Thanks, all.

ade.h 20:54 02 Mar 06

Have you opted to hide selected NA icons?

R-click on a clear bit of the NA and select Customise Notifications... and see how it's set. The icon in question will likely be in the "past items" list rather than "current items".

diy 20:58 02 Mar 06

In Outlook (it may be the same for Outlook Express) go to tools, options, preferences tab, click E-mail options button and tick 'Display notification message, box.
Hope this helps.

remind 21:05 02 Mar 06

OE doesn't have a system tray notifier.
Magic Mailbox Monitor will do the same job, imports your OE account details with a couple of clicks.
click here
Others are poppeeper (click here) or EPrompter (click here)

remind 21:06 02 Mar 06

doh..ignore that, it does

VoG II 21:07 02 Mar 06

HideOE click here will do this as well AND minimise OE to the notification area.

DIYgirl 21:46 02 Mar 06

"doh..ignore that, it does"

So is there a way for me to do what I want to do, or do I just have to put up with not knowing if I have email or not?

"HideOE click here will do this as well AND minimise OE to the notification area."

Sorry, don't understand (remember I'm dim when it comes to computers). I don't want to minimise OE, I just want to know when an email's arrived... blah. I wish I understood what things meant! It's not you, it's me. Do please persist. I'll get it eventually.

DIYgirl 21:50 02 Mar 06

"R-click on a clear bit of the NA and select Customise Notifications... and see how it's set. The icon in question will likely be in the "past items" list rather than "current items"."

Hurrah, I've done it! Thanks, ade.h. Once I'd figured out what "NA" meant (my own "duh" moment) I did it in seconds. It was easy. I think. Anyway, it's done now, and thanks to all who offered advice. I love this forum!

cowgirl66 16:43 26 May 06

I haven't used Outlook Express 6 for some time, and can't remember whether the envelope icon in the taskbar only appears when Outlook Express has been opened/minimised. It won't appear unless O.E is open - am I right?

I have checked the Hide Inactive Icons settings and the one for email notification does say, "Hide when inactive".

cowgirl66 16:47 26 May 06

Apologies, this post shouldn't have been put in,

"How to display new mail icon in notification area?"

It should read seperately as:

I haven't used Outlook Express 6 for some time, and can't remember whether the envelope icon in the taskbar only appears when Outlook Express has been opened/minimised. It won't appear unless O.E is open - am I right?

I have checked the Hide Inactive Icons settings and the one for email notification does say, "Hide when inactive".

Jackcoms 17:00 26 May 06

You will stand a better chance of getting an answer to your query by starting a new thread of your own rather than appending a question to a thread which was, effectively, closed nearly 3 months ago.

"It won't appear unless O.E is open - am I right?"

Correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…