How to disable Quick Time auto-start?

Clapton is God 13:14 11 Nov 07

How do I stop Quick Time player from wanting to auto start every time I boot up?

I can disable it using msconfig but then a few minutes later Windows Defender detects a change and, surprise, surprise - it's Quick Time trying to set itself up with an auto-start again.

There is no obvious option in Quick Time preferences to disable this annoying activity.

I'm using Windows XP and Quick Time 7.3

Marko797 13:26 11 Nov 07

thru 'start up' within CCleaner. It hasn't come back n that was weeks ago now.

Karakorum 13:34 11 Nov 07

Try praying to Clapton. :-)

Woolwell 14:45 11 Nov 07

Quicktime tries to install an icon in the system tray each start up. You can stop this by using Quicktime preferences - advanced tab and uncheck "Install Quicktime icon in system tray".

Having done that I cannot find any obvious Quicktime processes running in the background.

VoG II 14:47 11 Nov 07

Try this instead - it should uninstall QuickTime when you install it click here

Clapton is God 14:57 11 Nov 07

Thanks for all your suggestions (although Karakorum's was rather ridiculous).

I tried Marko797's suggestion and deleted the start up entry using CCleaner but a short time later Defender was nagging me again that Quick Time wanted to auto-start.

However, I think I've solved it now.

I found the Quick Time .exe file which Defender told me was 'responsible' for the auto-start and I manually deleted that file in C:\Program Files\Quick Time.

It seems to have done the trick!

Clapton is God 14:59 11 Nov 07

I might just do that.

I don't really know why I have Quick Time on the PC - I rarely, if ever, use it. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…