How to Disable MSN

JayDay 16:10 03 Sep 06

I have been asked by a friend if there is a way of stopping their kids from using MSN. The obvious solution is to remove it, but then they could just re-install it.

I think zone alarm would allow you to prevent it accessing the internet which is one solution.

Are then any other options, or free firewalls that would block its access?

skidzy 16:24 03 Sep 06
  skidzy 16:26 03 Sep 06
  recap 16:26 03 Sep 06

The MSN Messenger Service places itself in the run portion of the registry as
%systemdrive%:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe /background. If you want to remove MSN Messenger Service entirely, use the Add/Remove programs Control Panel applet.

If you simply want to stop the Messenger Service from starting, perform the following steps:

Start regedit.exe. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
Right-click the MSMSGS entry, and select Delete.
Click Yes to the confirmation.

SANTOS7 16:28 03 Sep 06

Would it not be wiser to educate them in how to use it properly, by banning the use of MSN the kids in question may be drawn into chat rooms of a far more nafarious nature, and if they are computer literate they will find a way of reinstalling it anyway..

JayDay 16:28 03 Sep 06

Thanks.

JayDay 16:29 03 Sep 06

Hear what you say. It's been tried it's taken over his life and his homeowrk etc is suffering. Rather than take the PC away dad wondered if the removal of MSN may help.

powerless 16:55 03 Sep 06

If you remove it, then it could just be reinstalled.

Do you use XP Pro?

Can you also conform that it's Windows Messenger [the one inc. with XP and not Messenger Service] or the MSN Messenger the one you can download [now been replaced by Windows Live Messenger].

JayDay 17:12 03 Sep 06

It's resolved. Yes he uses XP and it is the MSN thing you download. Skidzy's link was helpful and VOG suggested putting the lad on a limited account on XP and uninstalling the prog, as he's on a limited account he won't be able to install it. Dad will obviously need to password protect his account.

14all 17:31 03 Sep 06

I know this has a tick to say it’s resolved, but please heed this warning.
If your son is so into MSN he will know there is an online version click here that he can use without down loading. So you may have to add it’s URL to your firewall banned list.

Bare this in mind there are other messenger services out there such as Bebo click here they can turn to, I do talk from experience on this one, any time you give him online, he will find a way to use another service.

Jimmy14 17:42 03 Sep 06

I think the allowed and blocked sites built into your anti-virus program or in the IE6 tools would be able to block the whole msn website altogether but if they know that they can download it from file websites then you will have a big job pn your hands.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced