How determine what power supply wattage is needed?

The Belarussian Mafia 17:24 23 Apr 04

My computer is 4 to 5 yrs old, and only has a 200W power supply. What issues might arise as I upgrage & add more peripherals? I recently upgraded the HDD from 15GB 5,400 rpm to 120GB 7,500. CPU is Athlon 750 (with an enormous fan). Graphics card upgraded to 128MB from 32MB. 192MB Ram (upgraded from 64), ADSL USB modem, CD-RW (4x), DVD drive, keyboard & mouse fairly basic Soundblaster sound card, 1 printer (parallel laser) + now adding an inkjet USB2 multifunction device + PCI USB2 card. If an upgrade is recommended, how do you decide what size is needed?

Mat2 17:25 23 Apr 04

Hi
Try here this may help you

click here

Mat2

Xevious 17:26 23 Apr 04

with all that i think you will need an upgrade in PSU...

you should be able to add up all the wattages of the devices you're installing, but i have never been down that road before.

have you tried doing a search on google? you'd be surprised at the results you'll get

Xevious 17:27 23 Apr 04

that's brilliant, thanks for that! it's going right into my favorites!

The Belarussian Mafia 17:31 23 Apr 04

Awesome. Instant and accurate response. Nice one.

961 17:34 23 Apr 04

If the inkjet device has its own power supply that should not be a problem, but the USB card while probably ok by itself should also use self powered bits otherwise things may get difficult

You can of course buy a new psu and modern jobs tend to be 300w up but with a 750 processor the time may come when a new case with new psu and a motherboard bundle (mobo, processor, fan and memory assembled and tested for around £150) may be worth thinking about. The whole lot could be done for under £200 using all those power hungry bits you have been adding

The Belarussian Mafia 18:53 23 Apr 04

According to that website I need 320-340 min! (I'm not certain which version of the Athlon I have, hence the uncertaitny). Anyone know what the consequences might be of putting too much strain on the power supply?

citadel 19:14 23 Apr 04

when under stain there may be system crashes. When buying a new power supply it is best to get a good one. If you can afford it the Zalman zm400b is excellent and silent.

Mat2 19:46 23 Apr 04

when you were on the website and selected the CPU, did you select AMD Athlon (50 watts).

The main problem you may encounter is stability when the system is under strain. It might be worth you considering a 400watt PSU for your upgrade.

mat2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…