How to determine if wireless enabled

wesparmalee 08:46 29 Mar 07

This is a simple question, but i don't know the answer.I'm about to go to a different broadband provider which involves setting up a wireless router.I need to know if my computer is wireless enabled or not.How can i determine this?My pc is a Dell Dimension E520.Thanks in advance.

Koochy 08:57 29 Mar 07

As this is a desk top pc you should have an ethernet connection that you can still use to connect to the internet. Just follow the onscreen instructions to "set up a wired connection"

MAJ 08:59 29 Mar 07

No it's not wireless enabled, wesparmalee, you will need a wireless adapter to be able to use your broadband connection wirelessly. Your new ISP (who is it?) will probably send you a wireless modem router as part of their kit, but not usually the adapter which plugs into a USB port on your computer. Basically, the wireless modem router, broadcasts the signal and the USB (attached to your computer)adapter receives the signal. You can also get an internal wireless card and install it in your computer but the USB adapter is now the way to go. It's best to get one that's the same make as your router.

wesparmalee 09:01 29 Mar 07

I haven't as yet got all the hardware, so i'm not sure of make/model etc.The provider is Sky.

Gongoozler 09:05 29 Mar 07

The spec here click here has no mention of wireless, so it is very unlikely that your E520 has it. As Koochy says, you can still connect to the router via the ethernet (10/100) connection, and I think this is the simplest and safest way to do it. I am using a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem connected to my main desktop pc via ethernet, and other computers in the house connect wirelessly. This was extremely easy to set up.

Gongoozler 09:06 29 Mar 07

This is the Netgear router together with a USB wireless adapter that I'm using. click here

MAJ 09:06 29 Mar 07

Here's one click here wesparmalee, just to show you what they look like. There are different types, for example I use one similar to this. click here

wesparmalee 09:08 29 Mar 07

Thanks for all the excellent advice.

Gongoozler 09:16 29 Mar 07

............. and for a pci wireless card, I'm using this one click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now