How to delete without opening suspect e-mail

strangways 10:42 28 Sep 04

I am receiving malicious e-mails on Outlook Express via Tiscali. These e-mails have no senders name, no subject, no message. The effect is to 'sever connection with my server'.

I think they would have no effect if I could delete before opening, but unfortunately they seem programmed to open automatically. Please help.

Howard

Salinger 10:51 28 Sep 04

Sounds like you may have the PREVIEW PANE enabled, try switching it off.

Caså 10:51 28 Sep 04

In OE ..view..layout..uncheck "preview pane.Then mail will not open on auto.
Or download "Mailwasher"

recap 10:52 28 Sep 04

Firstly make sure you have the Preview Pane Closed. To do this go to View/Layout and take the tick out of "Show Preview Pane"

Right click the email, select Properties, Details (Tab), Message Source (button). Once read cancel all open windows of the email.

recap 10:57 28 Sep 04

Sorry strangeways, I should have added that the last paragraph is to read the email without opening it.

€dstowe 11:24 28 Sep 04

I have read somewhere that these emails with no messages etc were originally carriers of viruses and have been cleaned by your ISP.

I don't know whether this is true or not. I did get several per day at one time but they have stopped now so my interest in finding out more has dwindled.

Cook2 12:12 28 Sep 04

Get this free program. click here
Occasionally check the Junk and Quarantine folders to make sure it hasn't blocked someone you want to hear from. Next time you get malicious a click will block it it future.

strangways 15:32 28 Sep 04

How does one say 'thank you' to the many who replied so rapidly to my query ?

Regards Howard Strangways

€dstowe 15:57 28 Sep 04

I think you've done it with your last posting:-)

Stuartli 16:47 28 Sep 04

Apart from the fact that you should have the Preview Pane permanently disabled, it also allows you to examine and read suspicious e-mails and either save or delete them as required safely.

By highlighting the e-mil with a right click, you can then select Properties.

This provides the header information and Message Source allows it to be read.

You can then Cancel twice and, whilst the e-mail is still highlighted, Delete it using the Toolbar Delete button.

muscic lover 16:51 28 Sep 04

JUST A SUGGESTION....

Try using the excellent programme 'Mailwasher'. a quick Google search will secure the place to download this programme.
It will allow you to 'look' at the messages and delete, bounce and add to a blacklist!

I 'wash' all my mail this way and say bye bye to garbage!

Try it, you might like it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…