How to delete partitions, Win XP?

stlucia 11:42 08 Nov 08

My new PC arrived with Windows Vista installed. I created and formatted another partition on the single 500Gb HDD in addition to the factory-installed C:\ and I:\ drives. Then, on finding that Vista was incompatible with most of the hardware and software I was trying to install, I formatted the C:\ drive and installed Windows XP from scratch. Everything is running fine except for Norton Partition Magic, which doesn't recognise the Vista version of NTFS formatting and partitioning.

So, I now want to remove the partitions and reformat the disk as a single 500Gb drive using Windows XP. How do I go about it, please?

I've got my C:\ drive fully backed up on an external drive using Acronis True Image, and have made an Acronis rescue disk, so I'll be able to restore everything. Then I'll use Partition Magic from then on to create whatever partitions I want.

Switcher 11:47 08 Nov 08

ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > COMPUTER MANAGEMENT > Disk Management

cream. 11:58 08 Nov 08

create whatever partitions I want.

Just decide what size you want the partition ( C drive ) to be before the XP installation and choose that size as you install windows. The remaining portion of the hard drive can then be split into as many or a single partition AFTER you have installed windows. You just use disk management as per switcher.

Switcher 12:03 08 Nov 08

OOPs Sorry re my post, I think you will be able to remove all partitions except the c:\ partition using disk management. Possibly easier to use Partition Magic to delete extra partitions and create one disk. Then just use format from a boot disk to wipe disk

stlucia 12:21 08 Nov 08

I've removed partition D:\ using Disk Management, and then tried to do the same with partition I:\ (the factory-installed one). D:\ has disappeared, but I:\ still remains, though it has no label and is "Unallocated", and there's no option available except to create a new partition. I've done that, so now I've got a C:\ and a D:\ drive, each about 250Gb, with no data on the D:\ drive. Is there a dot-prompt command that will allow me to combine partitions?

The main problem I've got is that I can't use Partition Magic until the whole disk is in Windows XP NTFS format, for it doesn't recognise the Vista format (Norton have confirmed that's an issue).

Cream, are you saying that if I reinstall Windows XP from scratch it will give me the option to reorganise my HDD, including merging everything into one 500Gb partition and formatting it?

cream. 12:49 08 Nov 08

"Cream, are you saying that if I reinstall Windows XP from scratch it will give me the option to reorganise my HDD, including merging everything into one 500Gb partition and formatting it?"

Yes. If the windows XP disk incoperates service pack 2.

You must delete the D drive, with the option d key and then delete the C drive with the option d key. This will give you one 500gb unallocated disk. You just pick that alocated space to install XP on.

Pick the quick format NTFS option or you could be 3 or 4 hours formatting the drive.

cream. 12:52 08 Nov 08

click here
"The next step is to delete the partition, press "D" to delete the selected partition."

You must delete both partitions with the D key.

stlucia 19:23 08 Nov 08

Oh dear, my Win XP disk only includes SP1 :-(

I'll try it anyway, to see if any option like in your example comes up.

stlucia2 11:17 09 Nov 08

OK, my Win XP disk operated exactly the same way as the tutorial in your link, cream :-)

... and Norton Partition Magic now works correctly with my re-formatted HDD, so I can now partition it as I want.

Only problem was I had to create a new account with PCAdvisor because my previously registered email address (which they require for login, instead of user name) is no longer active. Hence my slightly different screen name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…