How to delete duplicated Excel workbook?

Nosmas 01:36 20 Oct 03

Somehow I have managed to create an exact copy of an existing Excel workbook, although I don't know how I did it. Whenever I open the workbook the title bar at the top of the window shows as Microsoft Excel - Myfilename.xls:2

Clicking on the Window button displays a dropdown with two identically named files - but because the file name is long, the right-hand end of the name is not visible. Selecting the other file displays an identical file but with the title ending as "xls:1" In Windows Explorer only ONE file name is shown without the ":1" or ":2" tagged on the end. Can anyone please tell me how I can delete or otherwise get rid of the duplicated copy?

tbh72 04:08 20 Oct 03

If you make changes to either copy is the other also updated with the new details? If so, this will be a backup copy and can be deactivated by selecting the appropriate option from the saveas submenu from the file menu.

VoG II 12:56 20 Oct 03

Close the :2 window using the X (not the one on the blue title bar, the one just below it). Then save the file.

Nosmas 18:12 20 Oct 03

Thanks for coming to the rescue once more. Your solution worked a treat. Still don't know how I created the duplicate - I'm pretty sure I didn't go via the File Menu -> Save As -> Options -> Always create backup route - although I was rather tired at the time.

tbh72
Thanks for your suggestion. As you can see VoG's idea worked for me.

VoG II 18:15 20 Oct 03

The duplicate will have been created by Window/New Window or the equivalent keyboard shortcuts - probably by accident.

This is, in fact, a useful feature as it allows you to have 2 or more windows with different views of the same file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…