How to delete duplicated Excel workbook?

Nosmas 01:36 20 Oct 03

Somehow I have managed to create an exact copy of an existing Excel workbook, although I don't know how I did it. Whenever I open the workbook the title bar at the top of the window shows as Microsoft Excel - Myfilename.xls:2

Clicking on the Window button displays a dropdown with two identically named files - but because the file name is long, the right-hand end of the name is not visible. Selecting the other file displays an identical file but with the title ending as "xls:1" In Windows Explorer only ONE file name is shown without the ":1" or ":2" tagged on the end. Can anyone please tell me how I can delete or otherwise get rid of the duplicated copy?

tbh72 04:08 20 Oct 03

If you make changes to either copy is the other also updated with the new details? If so, this will be a backup copy and can be deactivated by selecting the appropriate option from the saveas submenu from the file menu.

VoG II 12:56 20 Oct 03

Close the :2 window using the X (not the one on the blue title bar, the one just below it). Then save the file.

Nosmas 18:12 20 Oct 03

Thanks for coming to the rescue once more. Your solution worked a treat. Still don't know how I created the duplicate - I'm pretty sure I didn't go via the File Menu -> Save As -> Options -> Always create backup route - although I was rather tired at the time.

tbh72
Thanks for your suggestion. As you can see VoG's idea worked for me.

VoG II 18:15 20 Oct 03

The duplicate will have been created by Window/New Window or the equivalent keyboard shortcuts - probably by accident.

This is, in fact, a useful feature as it allows you to have 2 or more windows with different views of the same file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…