How to delete a corrupt file?

woodpecker 21:58 04 Aug 04

I have a corrupt mpeg file on my hard drive (700mb) which I cannot get rid of. It crashed when I tried to open it and since that, it wont open but also if I try and delete it I get the messge 'file in use by another program, try closing down programs first blah, blah' well there is definitely nothing open so how do I remove this program from my hard drive please?

Valvegrid 22:02 04 Aug 04

You haven't mentioned your O/S, but have you tried removing it in safe mode?

woodchip 22:15 04 Aug 04

If you are on XP, see if it will allow you to drag the file to C:\ if you can, then got to Start\Accessories\Command Prompt and type

Del C:\xxxxx where xxxxx is the file name.

If that will not work then start in safe mode, by restarting your comp and keep tapping the F8 key then choose safe mode, then try deleting the file in explorer

Night Ryder 22:20 04 Aug 04

Boot your PC in safe mode then delete the file.

woodpecker 22:25 04 Aug 04

Hi Guys! Thanks for the help, I cannot believe that I forgot about safe mode its been so long since I used it! My O/S is XP and safe mode did the trick thanks!!!

FYI I had already tried the command prompt root without success, oh for the days of DOS ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…