How crippled is the Celeron processor?

ch0pper 17:51 04 May 04

I've been offerd a very good value PC that I would like to give to my mother.

She is currently struggling on a 600MHz P3 machine and I thought that an upgrade was due.

The PC has a 2.6GHz Celeron processor, 512MB RAM, 128MB Video. Just how much slower than an full P4 of the same speed would this be?

Diodorus Siculus 17:53 04 May 04

Depends on what you are doing - it just has less "on die" memory than a PIV / Athlon - hence cheaper to make. Will not make a great difference for general work and will be a lot different to the current machine.

rickimalone 18:09 04 May 04

It really will perform now where near P4 or AMD XP, chip however as the man above me states it will be great improvement over the current set-up............... Personally I would'nt put a celeron in my alarm clock........

ste_bla 18:11 04 May 04

you get what you pay for:

celeron = aimed at poor students/businesses

p4 = aimed at rich students or ppl with sugar daddies!

though saying that the new prescott versons of p4 which bassically just hav a bigger cache are slower at processing small-med amounts of data and use A LOT of power

citadel 18:20 04 May 04

the celeron is ok if you are not going to play games.

GaT7 18:28 04 May 04

That would be a rather nice step-up & setup for your mother, & should serve her for a while depending on what she plans to do or run on it.

I have a Celeron 600Mhz, which is not as good as your mother's P3, but find it very satisfactory for the tasks I run on it (don't play games or do any video editing, etc). I have the old Win98se & over 30 programs loaded from MS Office 2000 to Norton Internet security (the latter is supposed to be notoriously resource hungry) but hardly notice a strain. I find that regular basic maintenance & a few basic tweaks makes it run at top performance.

Daz35 18:37 04 May 04

I went from a celeron 600Mhz to a P4 2.6 Ghz and the real difference for me was the speed of the internet. (NTL600K on both) My ram went from 192 to 500 and I found a considerable difference in speed in general processing and multi tasking.
I think even with the cheaper option of the celeron the speed should be fairly noticeable. My celeron(win 98) machine got clogged in the end and kept freezing, probably due to the fact that I didn't then understand the need for regular maintenance and tweaks that Crossbow7 mentioned.

rickimalone 19:24 04 May 04

You can play games with a celeron processor, however it will advised to be part of a "gaming machine".

Games that rely heavily on the CPU such as the Unreal will see quite a heavy drop in performance...

The celeron is a good processor for your average joe user, however any number cruching or graphics based tasks will not run as well as a P4 or AMD XP CPU......

If general word processing and web surfing is what you do it's fine just dont ask anything to demanding of it as it is what it is a stripped down pentium cpu.......

christmascracker 19:49 04 May 04

The Dell I had before this PC had a 2.2 celeron, 512 ram and onboard sound and graphics.

It did everything I wanted it to do including video editing. The only thing I didn't do with it was play games and that was because it had onboard graphics.

I'm sure she will be more than pleased with it.

Dan the Confused 20:03 04 May 04

Is there any difference between CPU L2 cache and MB L2 cache?

ch0pper 20:41 04 May 04

Thank you all.

My mother doesn't play games on her PC. She does do some photo manipulation since she bought herself a Sony digital camera last year, and has take to the internet like something possessed.

She uses AOL and has just discoverd video linking with her friends in Australia and America. Now she has ADSL, she's at it all hours of the day and night, keeping up with all the news. I reckon for a 78 yr old lady that she's taken to the thing like a duck to water.

I can't abide being in the same room as her when she's typing though. She's still rocket-fast on the keyboard and you can almost feel the heat coming from the keyboard as she belts away.

I've placed the order for the PC tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…