how to create partition

d4rmsc 18:45 09 Aug 09

I want to create a partition on my harddisk but I dont want to format it or lose any data, is this possible? How can it be done?

d4rmsc 18:45 09 Aug 09

By the way its a laptop running windows xp pro sp2

BBW 20:17 09 Aug 09

Do a search, and download programs which will do it automatically for you.

InTheCity 20:20 09 Aug 09

Paragon is free and easy to use.
click here

GaT7 20:45 09 Aug 09

I agree with InTheCity. I've used their products with great success in the past. No formatting required, & it copies the data as well.

However, you MUST do a thorough backup to external media prior to attempting just to be on the safe side. Also have your original disks & product keys to hand if you need to do a reinstall.

Note that the smaller the amount of data, the quicker it will complete, & more likely to run to completion without errors/stoppages. So, you'll want to make your present OS partition as 'slim' as possible by doing a disk clean-up, removing data files to external media, deleting older System Restore points, etc. Also do a thorough prior disk check click here (the 2nd method with both boxes ticked). G

Quiet Life 23:05 09 Aug 09

Easeus partition manager is not just a "free download" but free to use
click here
I have had a 100% success with it and have found it totally reliable.
It is best to defrag the drive first and backing up always makes sense.

David4637 21:02 11 Aug 09

Thanks for the info on Easeus free download.
The tutorial is well described on how to use it.
I use an early version of Acronis on XP, which has been excellant- but this has a clone facility and is Free. It very much looks like Acronis. Just one query - when cloning it will overwrite anything you have on an external drive, therefore I would assume you would have to partition the external HD before cloning.

Question to others- would you have to patition to clone with Acronis?
Thanks David

Quiet Life 22:46 11 Aug 09

I have only used Easeus for partitioning. For cloning I use XXclone which is free and very reliable. If used to clone to an internal second drive it can make the clone bootable and you can test it working. It does delete everything that is on the partition.
Acronis produces a separate file (.tib)and does not affect other files on the partition.

birdface 09:33 12 Aug 09

Paragon free for 24 hours.

click here

David4637 16:25 12 Aug 09

Does Acronis produce a *.tib for a clone as well as an image file? I use Acronis for image back up, and its a *.tib.
Thanks David

Quiet Life 17:54 12 Aug 09

A clone is an exact copy of all the folders files etc, of the partition that is being cloned.
If on a separate internal harddrive and you boot it it will look exactly like the cloned drive.
A .tib file is a copy of the partition in a single file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…