How create data file in outlook?

Jwbjnwolf 16:35 11 Dec 10

I have succesfully set gmail up with ms outlook 2003 but i try opening outlook and it says
'unable to open your default email folders. outlook could nt start because a data file to send and recieve could not be found. to add a file such as a personal folder file, double-click the mail icon in the windows control panel.'
I know how to get to data files as to add one but there is nothing that says create one. What on earth do i do or do i need to go to the universe and ask?

rawprawn 17:09 11 Dec 10

Try "Repair" in Help

bremner 17:11 11 Dec 10

Your thread title asks how to create a data file in outlook, then in the body you say "I know how to get to data files"

Here is the MS instructions click here

Jwbjnwolf 19:03 11 Dec 10

I have already been there but as i cannot access outlook i have to go to mail in control properties and then click on 'data files and in the white box there is none so i click on add and the box underneath 'types of storage' is empty so i cannot make a data file.
what do i do?

bremner 19:57 11 Dec 10

You have said you have set up Gmail in Outlook.

Are you now saying you can not get into Outlook at all? If so what happens when you click on the Outlook icon?

Woolwell 20:16 11 Dec 10

I wish I understood your problem. I think that you are saying that Outlook will not open.

You could try 2 things:
1. Outlook in safe mode click here
2. scanpst click here

Woolwell 20:17 11 Dec 10

ps how do you know that you have successfully set up gmail?

Jwbjnwolf 14:11 12 Dec 10

at the start of the thread i mentioned that every time i would try and open outlook it comes up with this message:
'unable to open your default email folders. outlook could nt start because a data file to send and recieve could not be found. to add a file such as a personal folder file, double-click the mail icon in the windows control panel.'
and it then gets me to click on the ok and it shuts down.
so the question i am trying to make clear in which i guess i am not, how do i make a data file when there ain't one at the moment and when there is nowhere that will let me create one?

Jwbjnwolf 14:14 12 Dec 10

I know that it is successful at setting up gmail because i have done the test run if you know what i mean

bremner 15:08 12 Dec 10

It would seem that you have done something wrong when you set up your account. I would delete and reinstall Outlook and try again.

Woolwell 15:28 12 Dec 10

I refer you back to my 20:16 post. Your pst file may have become corrupted and a scanpst will check that.

See if Outlook runs in safe mode.

You may need to create a new profile click here

Outlook should automatically create its pst file (data file) or find the previous one. It would appear from the messages that the file is corrupt or has been moved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5