How to copy outlook express email to another pc

howard64 17:16 01 Dec 09

My sister had a problem, being unable to start, xp pro sp3. She used the acronis back up to get her going again. She has lost about 3 weeks worth of emails saved in outlook express. She used her other pc only a few days ago. I assume the emails will be on that pc. Could someone advise where the emails are stored in xp pro and if she could just copy and paste them onto the other pc? All suggestions appreciated.

FreeCell 18:13 01 Dec 09

They are well hidden. Search for .dbx files and they should reveal them selves.

They should be in C:/Documents and Settings/[account name]/Application Data/Identities/[Long alpha numeric name/Microsoft/Outlook Express

Application Data folder may be hidden unless you go into Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options Select the View Tab and select the radio button for "Show hidden files and folders".

Long alpha numeric string is a unique identity. If more than account is set on the computer you'll have to look in all the Identity folders to find the right folders with .dbx files. These can then be copied to the same appropriate place on the "new" PC, but will overwrite any newer ones on that PC.

Sea Urchin 18:48 01 Dec 09

In Outlook Express go to Tools - Options - Maintenance tab - and click on Store Folder. That's where the messages are hidden.

howard64 18:59 01 Dec 09

thanks both of you I will pass this on and report back.

Batch 09:29 02 Dec 09

Two other options (that don't involve digging around in the OE store folder / DBX files).

1. Forward each of the emails to herself from the PC where they are (without receiving them on that PC). Then go to the other PC and receive them.

OR

2. On the PC where the emails are sitting, create a new folder under My Documents (e.g. TempEmails), then select the emails and drag them to TempEmails (each email will appear as a .eml file). Then copy the TempEmails folder to the other PC and drag the emails from TempEmails folder to whatever OE folders she wants them in.

howard64 09:32 02 Dec 09

thanks Batch sounds good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5