How to copy emails to Word

rawsongreen 16:33 PM 22 Mar 13
Answered

Is it possible to put an exact copy of a Windows Live email into Word?

Secret-Squirrel 16:48 PM 22 Mar 13

Later versions of Word allow you to open .eml files used by Windows Live Mail. All you need to do is save your chosen e-mail as a file somewhere, or simply drag 'n' drop it from WLM onto your Desktop. Finally open Word, open the file you just saved and it should appear in Word exactly as it appears in WLM.

Alternatively, you could try copying and pasting from WLM into Word although the formatting is likely to get messed up in the transfer.

wee eddie 17:19 PM 22 Mar 13

Hit Print Screen and Paste the result into Word

Secret-Squirrel 17:38 PM 22 Mar 13

Eddie, it's worth pointing out that the OP won't be able to edit the text or images after pasting a screen-grab, and neither will it be the "exact copy" he's hoping for as the image will contain the WLM program window, Windows Taskbar and Start button etc.

AroundAgain 18:17 PM 22 Mar 13

For an 'exact copy' of an email, I have printed or saved using PDF Creator (free download).

TonyV 18:56 PM 22 Mar 13

Secret-Squirrel

I have just done as you state in your first paragraph, and certainly in Word 2007 it works very well and can be edited as one wishes! Very quick and easy.

TonyV

rawsongreen 11:49 AM 23 Mar 13

Many thanks everyone,

Wee Eddy - I have used print sceen but as Secret-Squirrel says you cannot make changes. Secret-Squirrel - My Word is 2003 and it does not work pity. AroundAgain - A PDF was not quite what I wanted

lotvic 12:13 PM 23 Mar 13
Answer

Secret-Squirrel's, way works perfectly in my Office Word 2003. Did you do the first part - save your chosen e-mail as a file (it becomes .eml) then rightclick on saved .eml and choose Open with Word.

You may then wish to alter the 'Views' as it opens complete with the 'Document Map' panel on the left. Unclick that in the 'View' menu, and then in 'View' menu click on 'Print Layout'

rawsongreen 13:24 PM 23 Mar 13

Thanks lotvic. I have Word in Office 2003. I do save in EML but when I right click on it I do not get an option to choose 'open with Word'. What am I doing wrong?

rawsongreen 13:32 PM 23 Mar 13

Thanks again lotvic I've done it.

lotvic 14:05 PM 23 Mar 13

We both should thank Secret-Squirrel :) I didn't know about it until now so thanks for starting Thread.

and thank you Secret-Squirrel for the how-to

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…