how to copy email messages in msn

wots it all about 19:59 14 Jul 05

Hi
How can I backup/copy email messages in msn? I am helping a friend who has just bought a desktop, and they want to transfer all emails from their old laptop. They also want to have a hard copy, so we want to put them on cds.
They told me that if you access your emails from another computer (ie sign in from a pc other than your own) you can only access the current days emails, is this true? It doesnt seem right to me, but I dont use msn so cant say.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

If, when u say msn u mean hotmail:
All messages are stored on there server. To keep your account open you have to log into the account at least every 30 days otherwise it will be deleted.
To save your messages i would use Outlook Express. In it go to tools>accounts and then add a mail account. Then simply put in your name, then put in the email address and then the password and your done. Then when your in the inbox for Hotmail go to file> export> messages. This should then save the emails as formats recognised by Outlook. Then if you happen to lose them just simply goto file> import> messages and reverse the process. T.

wots it all about 23:15 14 Jul 05

Hi, thanks for that. Well their email address is @msn.com, rather than @hotmail.com, is there a difference? Sorry to be thick.
Will try the advice you give, it does seem a bit complicated.... is there any other way?

DieSse 23:43 14 Jul 05

"They told me that if you access your emails from another computer (ie sign in from a pc other than your own) you can only access the current days emails, is this true?"

No -it's absolutely NOT true.

You can only download the emails into your system if you pay to have an extended Hotmail account - but it's not necessary, as they will get full access from their new computer.

DieSse 23:45 14 Jul 05

No -it's absolutely NOT true.

Well for Hotmail anyway - and I can't see an msn address being any different - it would make nonsense of being able to do you email from anywhere.

VoG II 23:47 14 Jul 05

In other words, if they have been using webmail they need to do nothing. There is no 'today' restriction.

wots it all about 09:28 15 Jul 05

Sorry VoG™, when you say webmail, do you mean ordinary email? I is getting confused!
Thanks DieSse, so to confirm, you can access your whole email inbox for as far back as you want, on any other pc than your own, both in hotmail and msn?

VoG II 09:34 15 Jul 05

By webmail I mean mail that you read in Internet Explorer or another browser, rather than using an e-mail program like Outlook Express.

wots it all about 09:36 15 Jul 05

Ok so that would apply then, as they use msn, and not outlook express. Thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…