how to copy audio tapes to CD

palinka 14:00 19 Sep 08

I have some home-recorded audio tapes that are 10+ years old and cannot be replaced. I'd like to convert the recordings to CD. How do I do it? My only tape player is a portable radio/tape recorder, but we have separate ( though elderly) hifi without tape facility.
Or is there a commercial company that would do it reliably? (we're talking maybe 10 tapes maximum).

Grey Goo 15:03 19 Sep 08

If you have a headphone socket on your portable and a line in on your computer you could connect them up. You will need something like this to record into.

click here

Grey Goo 15:08 19 Sep 08

Unless you have other software already such as Creative Mediasource.

lofty29 15:25 19 Sep 08

I believe it would be wise to make sure the volume of the input device is turned down to start with and gradually increased if using headphone to line in

eedcam 15:30 19 Sep 08

As suggested use audacity just record your tapes assume you wont be editing them though you can if you wish.Then export them as wave files then you can burn with anything you have even windows media player .You have to record in realtime so a wee bit time consuming

palinka 15:51 19 Sep 08

thanks for that; sounds quite do-able.

setecio 16:49 19 Sep 08

As loft said above, turn the volume on the tape player right down to start with or you might blow something in the PC sound card. Sometimes the levels are way above the usual input - something I don't understand but know to be cautious about.

lofty29 17:17 19 Sep 08

setecio
Cannot give an exact technical explanation, but it has to do with matching impedances, if you have a line-out to line-in connection then you are matching, if you are going headphone to line-in then you are not so if you start up with high volume you could blow the sound card

pj123 17:39 19 Sep 08

That doesn't seem to be a lot of tapes to me.

If you want to send them to me I will transfer them to CD for you for free.

email me via the envelope for further info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac