How to convert .wps to .doc (Works to Word) please

Furkin 15:35 18 May 08

The title says it all.

I have just brought some work home with me in MS-Works - hence .wps format. (No MS-Word there)

I've tried to open them in Word - to no avail.

I did a quick search on the web first & saw someone say to save the files as rtf's,,,,,
a) it's a bit late for that in my case - am already home.
b) it was actually written in Rich Text, as it has several formatted bits etc.
-------::-------
In the future - can similar files (on a non WORD machine) be saved in such a way that I can open them in Word ?
-------::-------

For Now - can I open these particular ones ?

many thanks for reading,,,,,,,,,,

brundle 15:38 18 May 08

Zamzar click here

Woolwell 15:43 18 May 08

I was under the impression that Word can open Works files but not the other way around. I think that you should have been able to open the Works files click here
Which version of Word are you using?

ambra4 16:36 18 May 08

Download the Work to Word Converter

click here

Furkin 16:41 18 May 08

BRUNDLE:
Thanks - I did see them from another post. I have tried the system - in that i've uploaded a file (a one page letter) but am still waiting for it to appear.
It also seemed to take a long time to upload,,,, but as I've not done it before - how would I know ?!?!
Thanks again - will put eventual result here.
-----::-----
WOOLWELL:
I had the same problem when they e-mailed me some stuff a few weeks ago. I was rather hoping that as it was on a USB stick that it would be easier to use - Doh !

I am now thinking (?!) that they can save their Works file as an actual .doc, but won't know until I visit them next, as I don't use it. I am assuming (hoping) that they just save 'as is' instead of looking for an alternative i.e: .doc.
-----::-----
I don't know which version of Works that they have either.

My Word seems to be 2002 SP3 !

Is there a later FREE version out there ?

thanks folks

Furkin 16:51 18 May 08

AMBRA4:
Thanks - had a look,,,,, I didn't realise that MS had downloads for that.
I tried to download Works 6,,,,,,,
but their system said that they can't carry out that request !!
I started to download Works 2000 but it said that I already have a similar item,,, but later than that, so I stopped the download.

If I do have such a prog/converter, it isn't 'automatic',,,, and nothing pops up when I try to open the works documents !
Should it pop up automatically,,,, or should I be looking elsewhere ?

thanks again

Bagsey 17:03 18 May 08

I have just tested your problem out on my computer using OPEN OFFICE ( a freebie)and provided the original document in Works is saved as a .doc file you will be able to open them in word. I did in open office without any hassle.

Furkin 17:29 18 May 08

BAGSEY:
cheers mate,,,,, in my case the files are saved as .wps.

I am hoping to get back to their computer today or tomorrow, & will see if I (they) can actualy save them as .docs.

I'm sure it will be to their advantage to do so in the future.

Ta

Ditch999 17:36 18 May 08

Try renaming it from .wps to .doc If it doesnt work rename it back.

Furkin 17:46 18 May 08

Thanks Ditch,
Tried that - didn't work.

BRUNDLE: Tried ZAM again, & got on better.
The file uploaded in a jiffy, so that made me think better of it.
I have just received it back,,,, apart from being wrong fonts/foramts etc,,,, at least it's available to read (& re format).
---:::---
Will 'Contact' MS tomorrow to see what they recommend for this.
Obviously results will be put here.

thanks again people

Ditch999 17:52 18 May 08

You could try opening it in Notepad if you are not worried about formating. Right click on select Open with then browse to or select Notepad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…