how to convert

ratmanfrommars 19:29 29 Nov 03

hi,
wots the dos comand to convert ntfs to fat32 . While using a boot up disk(win 98).I mistakenly formated the drive to ntfs now i cant install win 2000 pro/win xp pro using fat 32.

thank you

powerless 19:37 29 Nov 03

FAT32 to NTFS - No problem

NTFS to FAT32 - You cannot do it*

*Without a 3rd party (i think)

Quicker to reformat and choose FAT32.

Use the CD and boot from that, do not use a boot disc. You can create, format partitions from XP setup.

The partition size has to be under 32GB for the XP setup to give the option of formatting in FAT32.

ratmanfrommars 20:26 29 Nov 03

i tried reformating from the cd. but i only have the ntfs option for that partition.I ve deleted and created new partition but still no fat32.Someone told me i had to use the fdisk thing and enable large disk. By the way its a 120gig hard drive ,is that a problem?

powerless 20:37 29 Nov 03

What size partition did you crate?

120G's is fine.

DieSse 20:38 29 Nov 03

Windows XP will not format a pertition of over 32Gb. It can use them, but it can't format them.

If you want to format such a partition, youll have to do it outside WinXP.

Or you'll have to repartition so that partitions are under 32Gb.

But why are you doing this - NTFS is a far superior filing system, and recommended for use on large partitions.

Using Fat32 whether in Windows XP or any other version, you can't format larger than 32Gb. However, with NTFS you can have larger partitions right up to the current maximum Hard Drive capacities available today.

powerless 21:04 29 Nov 03

Thats what i said :-(

Jester2K II 21:07 29 Nov 03

Not invisible again are you?

mtall 21:12 29 Nov 03

Have you tried Partition Magic? I thing you'll have to use a third party software. Good luck

mtall

DieSse 21:57 29 Nov 03

Who said "Thats what i said :-(" ??

Apologies Powerless. I was trying to clarify the first sentence of the reply by Diesse, which seemed to imply you couldn't have ANY XP partition greater than 32Gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now