How to connect wirelessly to another computer?

herc182 22:22 14 Dec 05

I have a wireless USB connection to access internet. my house mate has a centrino processor and also connects wirelessly. how do you set up a connection between two computers to share files?
we both have windows xp.

VoG II 22:24 14 Dec 05
  Taff™ 22:45 14 Dec 05

Start>Control Panel>Network Setup Wizard. Bear in mind VoG`s link when you answer the questions. Take a floppy disk to the other machine and run the same from the floppy.

When/If that doesn`t appear to work. Reboot all machines. Turn off the firewalls (Temporarily) on both machines and then put at least one file in the "shared folders on each machine.

If still no joy - post back!

herc182 22:52 14 Dec 05

thanks folks. can always count on you. will have a go when i can. thanks again

herc182 21:18 05 Jan 06

hey there folks. i have run the network wizard on my computer, made a floppy and ran it on my friends computer inthe other room....
I restarted both computers.

I have put a file in my shared folder but he cant see it in his.

any ideas why>?

herc182 22:33 05 Jan 06

i also tried "set up a new wireless network for a home or small office" which involved putting in a usb disk which would have all the settings installed on it, then plugging in the same usb disk to my friends no avail...
nothing happens.

he doesnt have sp2 if that helps?

herc182 23:04 05 Jan 06

Sandhurst 23:05 05 Jan 06

If you and your housemate are sharing an internet connection, you should be able to see your housemate's computer in 'network neigberhood' If so, you should be able to 'enable sharing' in the folder option in the shared documents folder for each computer.

mgmcc 08:52 06 Jan 06

<<< I have put a file in my shared folder but he cant see it in his. >>>

The "Shared Documents" folder in Windows XP is intended for storing documents that are to be avaiable to all User Accounts set up within XP.

If you want that folder, or any other folder, to be available over the network, it needs to be set as "Shared" by right clicking it and selecting the Sharing & Security option.

Any firewall software running in either PC needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

herc182 17:08 06 Jan 06

i am not sure how to set up my router to allow us to share our files via it.

i have the netgear dg834g modem.

thank you

herc182 21:20 09 Jan 06

can anyone help? still cant get the damn thing to work and have tried everything!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…