How to connect a printer to a wirless router?

Linda1654 18:50 21 May 07

I have just boughta new printer and went to connect it to my Livebox 52E0 (wirless router). I use this wirless router to conect the the internet wirlessly. I dont want to have to keep going back to the printer and plugging it in to print things.

Jackcoms 19:12 21 May 07

Am I missing the point?

Why do you want to connect a printer to a router?

A printer is usually connected to the PC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 21 May 07

I don't think the wireless USB port on the Liveboxes are fully functional yet.

mocha 19:27 21 May 07

Unless your router has a print server built in then you cannot connect your printer to it, you can buy print servers that attach to your router/network. See here click here

laurie53 21:40 21 May 07

The reason to connect a printer to a router is to print from more than one computer, i.e. a home network.

I have my printer connected wirelessly to my Livebox, and it works from three computers.

Can't really help on how to do it, unless you've got the same printer as me.

On my printer there is a connection wizard, but basically it's just like connecting another computer - Livebox has to be in "pairing" mode, and you'll need to enter your WEP.

woodchip 22:31 21 May 07

You need to buy a Printer Server to plug the USB printer into the Router

QinesiQ 22:48 21 May 07

Don't know if this will help but i would imagine its the same principle.

I have just connected my (network capable printer) to my homehub (wifi router) via the Ethernet cable (not usb).

With both printer and hub on i ran the add printer wizard from the printers window in control panel. i selected network printer and both my desktop (XP) and lappy (vista) found my printer, installed the driver and I am now printing wirelessly to my hearts content. very easy to do

btw I also tried to connect a non-network capable printer via hubs usb port and I would only print 1 page. this is a common problem (on networking forums) as the hub does not (yet) support this function.

you could also try google-ing a livebox networking forum - i am sure there are many but in the meantime I hope my experience has help shed a little light on your situation.

Also, if your printer is new and not network capable see if you can take it back and swap it for one that is (I have the hp2570 multifunction £65 from John Lewis). if you want to of course;-)

Personally, I would explore some more before you go down the separate print server route as it just makes your printer a little more expensive – if you see what I mean. But if it’s the only option there are plenty around e.g Belkin for £30ish

Good luck

laurie53 08:34 22 May 07

Should add to my previous post that I do not have a separate printer server, tho' it may be built in; don't know about the technical stuff - I just plug it in and switch on!

Laurie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac