How to connect a laptop to WiFi camera

Flock 22:50 28 Mar 14

My hobby is wildlife and I spend a lot of time away from home watching and photographing wildlife and there is no mobile/internet coverage. I have wireless night vision equipment that transmits the video back to my van. Unfortunately there is no pan and tilt functions on these. I was looking to buy a WiFi pan and tilt camera and I was wondering if this was possible using the following idea. WiFi from the laptop running Windows 8 to the router which will be some distance from the van then WiFi to the camera. The reason for this is to extend the range and this is usually open space. Power and waterproofing of the equipment is no problem. The camera supports 802.11b/g protocol and adopts the TCP/IP network protocols. If this can be done can any recommend a router or a better way to do this?

Woolwell 10:14 29 Mar 14

In theory that should work if the van and camera are in range of the router. Power supply and range could create problems.

Flock 12:12 29 Mar 14

Power supply and range I don’t think will be much of a problem as I have plenty of old 12v batteries and I could knock down the output voltage using regulators to suit routers input voltage usually 12v or 5v. As far as range goes I know not to expect exceptional results. My knowledge of routers is quite limited so would I have to put the router into port sharing or would I see the camera direct as no one else has access. Does anyone have any thoughts on a suitable router?

Woolwell 12:28 29 Mar 14

There is a member of this forum who would be better qualified to answer. Better wait to see if he replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now